1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Finnfire P94S Barrel Change

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by bryn, Oct 16, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. bryn

bryn Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Yorkshire
    I have a P94S Finnfire 22lr varmint barrelled.
    I bought it with the original length barrel but have now acquired a cut down 16 inch barrel and want to be able to change barrels myself. I have some basic engineering skills and tools to do this but I hope someone can point me in the direction of a simple foolproof and accurate method of doing so.

Much appreciated.

bryn

2. bryn

bryn Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Yorkshire
    Here’s the reply I got on another British forum of how to change the barrel. its very easy and I went from the standard 24inch to a shortened 14inch barrel and as you can see the accuracy is very good, in fact those off you thinking of shortening the barrel should not worry. But the process of changing barrels presents no problem at all. As below;

Easy..... take the action out of the stock, you should find 2 hex screws (5mm I think) clamping the barrel in place. You’ll need a long Allen key to undo those as they’re pretty tight and to give you better control.

Swap the 2 barrels aligning the extractor groove with the bolt. Insert a fired case into the chamber, stick the bolt in and with the assembly vertical and just the weight of your arm on the barrel holding it against the bolt...re-tighten the 2 bolts.

Your arm pressure is enough to headspace it off the rim of the fired case and still give enough feel to the bolt. You ‘might’ have to re-visit if you change ammo manufacturer.

I got a .17mach2 barrel from Richard Pope at Swift Precision but he also does .22’s etc......and I’ve stuck 100’s nay, 1000’s of rounds, through these using this headspace method.

There was a thread years ago where someone had drilled 2 corresponding holes in their stock so they didn’t have to faff about removing the action from the stock.

Cheers,

Fizz
    IMG_1939.JPG IMG_1936.JPG

3. dodgyrog

dodgyrog Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Durham City
    What are you doing with the old unmodified Varmint barrel?

4. bryn

bryn Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Yorkshire
    I take it you are the chap who questioned if I had the spare barrel on my FAC on the Stalking Directory.

bryn

5. dodgyrog

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Durham City
    Yes

6. bryn

bryn Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Yorkshire
    why

7. dodgyrog

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Durham City
    Always looking for a bargain. don't you know.

8. bryn

bryn Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Yorkshire
    Well Rog,
    The spare barrel isn’t for sale, when I do sell the barrel it will accompany the rifle and I shall be much older and very grey by then.
    I have several rifles (all of which are on my FAC) but the one that gives me most pleasure is the finnfire, considering it was manufactured in 2003 its as accurate today as when it shot its first subsonic.
    I too like a bargain, don’t you know and considering the spare barrel cost me £85 I think I got one, a very accurate one.

I wish you well Rog

bryn

9. dodgyrog

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Durham City
    Hi Bryn
    Good answer
    I thoroughly enjoy my set of three Finnfires too and like you won't be parting with them any time soon
    I have a Varmint with a Lilja barrel I want to return to original spec
    ATB and good shooting

10. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Nothing can compare for accuracy, looks, balance, and sheer beauty than my Brno No. 1 made in 1949! It was a sleeper and is in mint condition. My friend Peter has a P94 S and I have never seen such a gorgeous tiger striped walnut stock. The stock blank would grace any Holland & Holland or John Rigby bespoke rifle! Well done Sako!

Blackjack