• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Extremely Rare Rifles

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

kirkbridgershooters

The discussion about the older Sakos and rarity, reminds me of another safe I have. I have loved Old West guns since I was a kid. I started hunting with a SRC 1894 Winchester in 25-35 when I was 11. I managed to pick up a gun here and there and have some unique rifles, even more rare than the 25-20, and 7X33 Sakos.

I have one safe full of Sakos, but my bigger safe has the Old West guns. Here is one, a Whitney Kennedy experimental model with a Springfield rear sight, "S" lever and double set triggers. On top of that, it still has the original cleaning rod in the buttplate...

DSCN3409.JPG DSCN3410.JPG DSCN3411.JPG DSCN3412.JPG DSCN3413.JPG

I thought everybody down south in Montana owned a rifle like that.(I'm from Alberta)

Last edited:
Hello Kirk,

I own a Winchester Model 1892 { Take Down } made in 1897 with round barrel and in .25 - 20 WCF calibre. The rifle is in VGC and has not been re - finished. It has the Winchester rear sight and lyman front sight. She is a joy to shoot and I love the Take Down feature! Also has the steel shot gun type of butt plate with widows peak, not the cresent type. Cody tells me that the Winchester rear sight was fitted to rifles exported to Gt. Britain. Will try to post photo's with my Sako L46 in 6, 3 X 33 R.

Blackjack

Kirk, you have some fine pieces there!

Sad to say I’m a bit ignorant when it comes to antique American firearms so please enlighten me and the other members!

Jim

I have two Winchester 1892s: a .32-20 and a .38-40, both of which sport an octagonal barrel. The .32-20 was born in 1894, while the .38-40, 1912. The .38-40 has a crescent moon brass (I think it's brass) inlay on the left side of the stock. Both rifles I consider to be in pretty decent condition, although they certainly wear an alluring, antiqued patina. While the bore in each is outstanding, the bluing is mostly gone, there are plenty of dings, etc, but I love the way they look, and would love to know the personal history of each rifle. The stories they could tell would be fascinating, I'm sure.

There's just something about a fine lever gun. Among several lever actions in the boxes, I have a couple 94 .30-30s, one built in 1952 and the other, much shorter version in 1994 (centennial) with the big loop lever. The 1952 is in excellent shape, has a gold cow skull inlay on the right side with scroll work around it, and four family ranch brands inlayed in gold on the left, also flanked by scroll work. It is one of my prized possessions and has been a great workhorse over the years. Bagged a gobbler a few years back with it at 70 yards - that was its last time "on the job," other than taking it to a friends place to let his children shoot it (one of which is one of my Godsons).

Kirk, you have some fine pieces there!

Sad to say I’m a bit ignorant when it comes to antique American firearms so please enlighten me and the other members!

Jim

I haven't seen this thread for a few months, but I will fill in here with some history on the Whitney Kennedy rifles. Everyone has heard of John Browning, but few have heard of Andrew Burgess. Burgess is to Browning what Nikoli Tesla is to Thomas Edison.

Andrew Burgess has 100's of firearm patents and also like Browning, started his own gun manufacturing business after collaborating with Eli Whitney, Marlin, Colt and other gun companies as he designed and patented all sorts of firearms. Burgess even spent most of the Civil War taking photographs for Matthew Brady. Most of the pictures you see of the Civil War are probably more likely to be from Burgess and his brother than Brady himself as he was in poor health. The engraving of Lincoln on the 5 dollar bill is taken from Andrew's photograph that he took of Lincoln.

Burgess designs are quite common in many Marlin lever action rifles and unknown in older rifles. I have several Burgess guns, one of which is probably the only one in existence. It is a wrist slide action gun in 44-40 with 2 barrels...

107_0766.JPG 107_0779.JPG

I also have several of his unique wrist slide action shotguns. They work much the same as this 44-40 but on a larger scale. This one is a folding model designed for police work...

DSCN2560.JPG

DSCN2561.JPG

DSCN2563.JPG

Back