• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Early FN Action in Sako 300 H&H compare to L61R

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hillcountry

I found a Sako, early FN action in 300 H&H. My concern is that because the action is not made by Sako; this rifle will not perform on par with the tradition of accuracy and reliability of the L61R 300 H&H especially given its age? Can anyone vouch for the quality of the FN action?

Description:
Price reduced // These early Sako rifles used the FN action, this one factory chambered in 300 H&H and is complete with Bausch & Lomb 2.5-8X scope of the same era. The package is in good to very good codition and ready to hunt. Excellent bore. 1950’s production so it is C&R eligible. $1098 includes insured shipping. Lay-a-way available, no credit cards and no trades. More photos on request.

Price: $1098

The FN actions were of very high quality. Actually, they were considered to be the best by many. The barrel & the fitting of it plus the trigger would probably have more to do with accuracy than the action. If this particular rifle is fitted with the Sako trigger with integral safety it would make it even more attractive. Looked at one last weekend @ a gunshow in good, not great, condition with the Mauser trigger & wing safety (30-06, no scope) that had an asking price of $900. If it had been in 300 H&H I "might" have left with it! Market prices seem to be all over the place for these older FN Sakos & you don't see them all that much either. If the bore is bright it should shoot fine, as we know Sako did a quality build.

Here is a photo of the safety and trigger? The safety looks like a "wing" to meo_O. Can you confirm from which this is - Mauser trigger & wing safety - or - Sako safety and trigger?

Attachments

• Sako, early FN action in 300 H&H with B&L scope.pdf
    460.6 KB · Views: 32
That's the Mauser wing safety, so it has the Mauser trigger also. Makes this a earlier Sako FN. Sako started fitting their #4 trigger w/safety & eliminating the "wing" later in the production period (others may know exact year). The #4 trigger carried over to the L61R, as well as the other Sako actions. Nothing wrong with this safety or trigger, but many consider the Sako version better. It is possible to fit a #4 to any Mauser action & any good smith can remove the wing and mod the bolt.

Thanks Paulson for your time and consideration of this H&H. If I were to purchase, it would be used to hunt.

I found this helping a guy out with an ID on his gun. Not a tack driver normal;y I gather form the link but great hunting gun (when I could still hunt mine was 1.5 inch accuracy, but never worse, did the job)

https://www.chuckhawks.com/sako_high-power_rifle.htm

I did get to shoot an FN Mauser action for the first time ever ( today) (35 Whalen), pretty nice and the trigger was great. No grit, no creep and a good clean break at 5 lbs or so.

Back