• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Did Beretta ever use Sako actions?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I'm in the process of buying a Beretta Monarch 30-06 bolt-action rifle. I believe it's a Model 502S. The action looks like a Sako AIII.

I didn't see the Sako name anywhere on the action, so I'm not sure. Does anyone know if Beretta ever used Sako actions for their rifles?

Yes, indeed. The Beretta 500 series (500 short, 501 medium, 502 long action) was built well before Beretta and Sako were associated under the same ownership. The actions Sako sold Beretta had round tops and were marked with Beretta's name and logo, but otherwise were identical to the regular Sako production actions . The barrels and stocks were not from Sako. They were apparently done at Beretta's manufacturing facilities in Italy. The guns bear the stamp "Made in Italy" and have numerous proof marks which Sakos do not have.

As you would expect with a Beretta product, the 500 series was well made. Stocks came in a couple of different configurations, but typically had a European "hogback" design instead of the more common "Monte Carlo" cheekpiece. They were produced and sold for a relatively short time until Beretta replaced them with its Mato series using a Dakota action. The Mato series was in turn replaced with Tikka and Sako rifles once Beretta became financially involved with those entities.

Last edited:
I'm sure mine is a 502S, but I need to know if it is actually the deluxe version (DLS) or just a limited edition with upgraded wood. It is marked "Whitetails Unlimited" on the floorplate and "W.T.U. 86 of 125" on the receiver. It also has P. Beretta on the receiver in gold-filled engraving.

So - can anyone tell me if this is an enhanced 502 S or a 502 DLS?

Here are some pics:
Beretta left action.jpg Beretta right action.jpg Beretta left buttstock.jpg

Attachments

• Beretta right buttstock.jpg
    Beretta right buttstock.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Beretta right front.jpg
    Beretta right front.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I can't tell you the exact model, but it is a very nice looking rifle. I'm not sure if it fits neatly into the factory grading scheme since it is a limited special edition for the Whitetails Unlimited group (much like Ducks Unlimited has special editions of various guns made for fundraising purposes.)

Here's the plainer version of the 502 for sale at one of our SCC sponsors, SakoSource.com : http://www.sakosource.com/-1046rs-beretta-502.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back