Custom Sako P94S Rifle

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by South Pender, May 5, 2018.

1. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Some time ago, I began a custom project with a Sako P94S barreled action. I have detailed the steps along the way over the last couple of months on the Tikka/Sako subforum of the Rimfire Central Forum. Well, the P94S project is now complete. Some pictures of the finished rifle appear below. The second-to-last pic, taken before the rifle was completed, shows the Talley scope rings--both 1.0" and 30 mm.--that were done up to fit into the bases that were soldered and blended into the top of the receiver. The pictures can be enlarged a little by clicking on them. Despite the fact that I have a decent camera, my photographic skills leave a lot to be desired; so apologies in advance.

All the work was done by Ed LaPour (metal work) and Bruce Farman (wood work and engraving). Ed and Bruce, both from Bremerton, WA and both members of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild, have built a number of rifles for me in the past

The concept was a handy .22LR hunting rifle. The project really started many years ago when I had Ed rebarrel a Sako Finnfire (P94S) heavy-barrel varmint rifle with a Lilja barrel to see whether we could improve accuracy. Ed cut a Win. 52D chamber in the Lilja barrel, but it really failed to outperform the original Sako barrel. So, Ed then set the original Sako barrel back a little and cut the same Win. 52D chamber in it. After that the rifle shot extremely well, turning in consistent average 5-shot groups of about .30" at 50 yards. So that was where things stood for many years. I had left the rifle with Ed and Bruce with the idea of building something special out of it at some point.

When we got started on the present project, Ed octagoned the original Sako Finnfire heavy barrel down to hunting-rifle dimensions. It mic's about .64" across the flats at the muzzle of the 21.5" barrel, which is equivalent to a .66" muzzle diameter of a round barrel. I didn't want to reduce it beyond that. Weight savings came via holes drilled in the buttstock and along the barrel channel. Finished weight as you see it (without scope rings or scope) is 6 lbs. 13 oz.

The bottom-metal treatment is a refashioned Blackburn hinged-floorplate unit designed for the Winchester 52. Ed did all the necessary reconfiguring and resizing. The floorplate release button can be seen at the bottom, front of the trigger guard. Ed also fashioned an all-steel bolt shroud.

The Talley rings add about 3 oz., bringing the weight up to an even 7 lbs. I have two scopes on hand for this rifle: (a) a March 1-10x24 and (b) a Leupold 3-9x33mm. EFR lightweight. With the Leupold on board, total weight is about 7 lbs. 11.5 oz.; with the March, about 8 lbs. 2 oz. So not a true lightweight, but light enough, I think, for most hunting applications. The March is a fabulous scope, with top-of-the-line Japanese ED lenses, and will likely be the one generally used. This scope focuses and is parallax-free down to 10 yards and provides a great FOV on 1-power of 105 feet at 100 yards. Its top end of 10 power seems ample for all hunting use with a .22LR. It's compact enough to look right on a rimfire, with a length of only 10.3" and a small objective bell of only 1.30" diameter. I've included a picture of this scope as the last picture below.

As mentioned, all stockwork and engraving are by Bruce Farman. The wood is English walnut, and checkering is 24 lpi. Bruce pillar-bedded the action. I wanted a fairly full forearm that will ride the bags better than the more petite forends we see on some rimfire rifles--like the schnabel design. In keeping with Sako's custom of engraving a caliber-appropriate animal on the floorplates of its deluxe models, I asked Bruce to engrave a squirrel (in gray) on the floorplate. All metal was cold rust blued by Bruce.

The trigger is a Jewell with the bottom safety (to reduce clutter on the top of the action). You can see the safety at the top of the trigger-guard area and ahead of the trigger. I have the light spring in it at the moment, and I've set it to 2 oz. This will do for bench-shooting and ammo testing. With the heavy spring, it can go to 2.5 lbs. or so, and this would be ideal for actual hunting use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2018

2. Perazzi

Perazzi Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Lord Howe Island
    Oh wow! That is unbelievable!!

3. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    A masterpiece South Pender, thanks for sharing the pics and commentary.

4. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Wow! You found some artisans!! Congrats, I was following your progress on rfc. Museum quality!

5. maximus otter

maximus otter Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Cambridgeshire
    Breathtaking. It makes my ancient, battered Finnfire Varmint look like a poor relation.

maximus otter