1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

CONTEST! Guess How Many 300H&H Made?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by stonecreek, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Mongo44

Mongo44 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Dang-it! Just ain't ever any fun when life "gets in the way..."

"Contests" such as this certainly contribute to the overall allure (and enjoyability) of membership here. It's amusing to see all the folks come "out of the woodwork" in such "event-type" threads, but certainly not at all surprising.

As I've stated before, I've been a member of several forums from MasterCraft boats, to Harley-Davidson forums, other gun-related sites, classic car forums, etc. I spent a great deal of time on a particular Harley forum in which we had some similar threads that seemed to "encourage" participation. For example, we had t-shirt swaps where several (50-100 or so) members would sign up. Two members in different regions would then be paired and would send one another a t-shirt from their respective local H-D dealerships. Pretty cool...

One of the things I have thought of suggesting, which was something we also did, is to have meet-and-greet type events. Local members would get together and ride, etc. Met some great folks and have remained good friends with several of them. Might be interesting to coordinate a shooting range gathering with some of the Sako Collector members in the various regions (states/countries). I know there are several members I've seen here who live in Houston or surrounding areas. Would love to meet at a range, meet some fellow members, pull some trigger and admire some other fine Sakos. Anyway, just a thought.

Thanks again, Stone!

2. alpine hunter

alpine hunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hey that's great!
    I will run through my method of determining the number.

It was a wild guess!

I will send through the details of an L46 222 that I have been planning on running through the factory records service.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I see plenty of the later rifles in those two calibers so I'm assuming you mean the "pre-Garcia" L61R.

It was not until 1966 that Sako even began to chamber the .300 Winchester, so there would only have been four years of that caliber in the "pre-1972" version, and even fewer with the Bofors mark. And while the .375 was chambered from the beginning, like any large caliber the demand for it was more limited. It seems that a smaller percentage of the .375's went to the U.S. as compared to other calibers, which is understandable. Many of them went to people or places where larger game was hunted. The caliber was not only popular for Africa, but in the 1960's there was still some bit of sport hunting being done in India. And the .375 is surprisingly popular for Northern European moose hunting.

4. Vixon223bofors

Vixon223bofors Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hi Stone,

Just want to sincerely thank you for your efforts in answering my question about how many 300 H&H Magnums were made by sako. I really appreciate your efforts to take a question from a new member in me, and to make it into such a fun and educational time for all. With the work and research you provided we all learned more about the production history of the sako 300 H&H magnum. I think it is so cool what you did and I will always be greatful and remember how my first question on the sako collectors website was handled. Thanks again.

Cris

Unclekax likes this.
  5. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Yes. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that, and I just automatically assume the old rifles from the pre-Garcia era when talking about the L-series.....even though they made them for some time after that.

DeerGoose

6. Hillcountry

Hillcountry Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Hi StoneCreek, I have found a 1966 Sako L61R Finnbear Deluxe in 300 H&H for sale at $3,895 and wonder if you feel this price is what should be expected?

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    First, how do you know it is from 1966? If it comes with a dated hang tag be aware that blank reproduction hang tags are available and some unscrupulous people have attempted to fill them out with made-up dates, as well as show standard rifles as "deluxe". It is possible to find a 1966 Deluxe .300 H&H in the U.S., but 1966 was the very last year they were imported.

Otherwise, it's not for me to say what the market is; only the market can say that. I can only have an opinion as to what I might be willing to pay or to ask if it were mine. Its condition, appearance of the wood grain, location, and even time of the year can all have a significant impact on how the market might value it -- as well as the reputation of the seller. Not knowing any of these variables, I can only make the observation that I haven't seen anyone ask quite this much for a rifle of this description; but like anyone else, I have only seen what I have seen.

8. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Thanks Stonecreek, it's for sale on Guns International sold by Mikes Custom Shop in Montana - think i'll pass

9. Vixon223bofors

Vixon223bofors Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hi Hillcountry,

I wrote to Mike asking for the serial number of that 300H&H mag in deluxe about 3 weeks ago. Mention in the email that I wanted to try and verify that it was produced as a deluxe at the factory. So far I have received no reply back on my email.
    It is a nice looking gun.

10. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Vixon, thanks for following up with me and attempting to verify this 300HH as an original DLX model. The Owner of such a rare rifle should be willing to share the serial #

11. Hillcountry

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    I have also requested a serial # lets see if he responds my request