• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Collection of Firsts: Shot and Owned

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Mongo44

In looking through my firearms, I grin at the realization that I still possess all those that were, categorically, my first ever to shoot and the first I ever owned. I like that.

Each item is identified as "Shot," for the first of that category that I ever shot; and "owned," for the first of that category that I acquired. I will post photos of all of them.

Interestingly, the first trigger I ever pulled belonged to a rimfire firearm, but it was not a rifle or pistol, but a shotgun. It also was not a .22 caliber rimfire...

They're as follows:

First Shotgun AND First Rimfire: This is the first gun that I ever shot.
Winchester Model 36 "Gardener's Companion" 9mm Flobert rimfire bolt action shotgun.

First Shotgun: Owned
This is the shotgun with which I learned to bird hunt.
Stevens Springfield Model 94B single shot .410. This was also my dad's very first gun that he acquired in 1939 or 1940.

First Centerfire Rifle: Shot
Model 94 Winchester .30-30, iron sights

First Centerfire Rifle: Owned
Browning BLR .243 with Redfield Widefield 6x scope

First SAKO: Shot and Owned
L46 HB .222 with custom stock. Forgot what the original scope was at the time.

First .22 Rifle: Shot
Belgium made Browning .22lr semi-auto, iron sights

First .22 Rifle: Owned
Browning BL22, .22 s, l, lr, lever action, iron sights

First Pistol: Shot
Smith & Wesson Model 41 .22lr semi-auto

First Pistol: Owned
Colt SAA New Frontier .45lc

I could go further into subcategories of "firsts," but it would be silly and would take far too much time.

Do any of y'all still have any of the first firearms that you shot or owned? Or, are they still "in the family?" What were they?

I still have my first Sako (shot or owned), a Finnbear .264 with its original Leupold Vari-X 3-9, acquired in 1965.

My first Sako was a 270 given to me by my parents around 1970 or 71. I recently passed it on to my youngest son upon his graduation from medical school.

This is the little Springfield Stevens 94B with which I learned to shoot dove and quail. Man, this gun has seen some serious time in the field. Bore is mirror shiny after close to 80 years and The Man With the Big Hat only knows how many rounds put through it. I have some "fine" shotguns, but this little baby has a place in my heart that few in my collection do. IMG_3107.JPG IMG_3112.JPG IMG_3108.JPG

First Centerfire Rifle that I shot was the 1952 Winchester Model 94. The rifle has been in the family for a long time and bears a few of our family ranch brands inlayed in its hide, as well as a cow skull on the opposite side. This rifle has harvested a healthy number of deer, hogs and a turkey or so and is also one of my favorites. Great shooter and extremely pristine given that it's over 65 years old.

The rifle on the bottom is the First .22 Rifle I acquired, which is a BL22. Great little rifle and fun to shoot!

IMG_2896.JPG IMG_2897.JPG IMG_2900.JPG IMG_2886.JPG

My first rifle. Browning BLR .243 with a Redfield 6X scope and detachable magazine. This rifle is a great workhorse and has never let me down. IMG_3196.JPG IMG_3197.JPG IMG_3194.JPG

Last edited:
First Sako I ever shot and first one acquired. L46 "Riihimaki" .222 HB with custom stock with Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. Heavy rifle, but if I ever need to thread a needle up a Gnat's butt at a couple hundred yards without drawing blood, this'll do it. IMG_2811.JPG IMG_2803-2.JPG IMG_2813.JPG

Last edited:
This semi-auto Belgian Browning is the first .22 rifle I ever shot. When I shot it, it didn't have the little Weaver scope on it that you see in the photos.

IMG_2988.JPG IMG_2995.JPG IMG_2986.JPG IMG_2988.JPG IMG_2995.JPG IMG_2986.JPG

Latest posts

Back