1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a scope & mounts?

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by Dry Powder, Sep 28, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Dry Powder

Dry Powder Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Greetings!

My Sako is a 75 Hunter IV 30-06. I acquired it with a 'Sako Original Medium 1" Mount'. Would like to sight in and use for hunting this fall. I'm considering one of the Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scopes. I like Nikon optics, and all the reviews I've read on this line of scopes seem to be very positive.

The one negative I've heard (from a single source) didn't address the scope I'm looking at but mentioned that the Sako scope mounts are no good and will crimp the scope tube.

Share your thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I've mounted dozens of scopes using both the original Sako ringmounts (which are windage adjustable) & the Leupold ringmounts & have never "crimped" a scope tube yet. I think the negative review came from someone who doesn't fully understand how to properly use these mounts or how to mount a scope in general. People seem to be able to damage scope tubes no matter what mounting system is being used, as evidenced by all the ring marks & dents one sees on used scopes for sale. After multiple installations my scopes show none of these marks, as I take great effort to properly align & lap the rings. There is more to mounting a scope than just slapping the mounts on the rifle, dropping the scope in the rings & tightening things up. Lots of info on line on how to do it right that is well worth your time to explore.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'll echo what Paulson has to say.

I've seen ring marks and crimps in scope tubes made by every type of mount available. It's amazing how some people can manage to mangle a scope with any mount you hand them.

Some of those same people look at the way that both rings on the original Sako ringmounts are windage adjustable and conclude that such adjustment can crimp the scope tube. And then they proceed apply mechanical malfeasance to demonstrate that is possible.

Bottom line: If you are mechanically inept then get someone who is not to mount your scope for you. There is nothing at all wrong with the original Sako ringmounts.

4. LennyM

LennyM Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    One of my hunting rifles has a 3 - 9 x 40 Nikon ProStaff with Sako mounts with which I have had no problems. I lapped the rings myself with a 25 mm stainless steel rod using coarse and fine grinding paste. I also used a scope alignment device which works very well. As Paulson and Stone commented, research the correct way or go to a gunsmith.
    My Nikon is mounted on my "Tupperware" .308 hunting rifle which I use in the mountains and dense bush which is not always kind to equipment. It has never been found wanting and has forgiven me many times. With shipping I paid the equivalent of about 450 USD. Hard core journalists use Nikon camera equipment because their cameras are so robust.

5. Dry Powder

Dry Powder Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thanks folks.

I'm pretty meticulous and mechanically adept. However I've never gone through the process, let alone lapping the rings, don't have the equipment or space. Will probably end up going to a shop or smith who has what I don't (yet).

I did decide to go ahead with the Nikon ProStaff model 6722 after reading a few more reviews -- and it'll allow me to use the mounts I have.

6. Dry Powder

Dry Powder Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Finally located a couple local gunsmiths who claim to do lapping/mounting. Any advice about vetting them before I hand over the goods?

7. LennyM

LennyM Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    If you search online you will find a great deal of info. It is a relatively straightforward procedure.

8. Dry Powder

Dry Powder Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Gunsmiths wanted about $100 for lapping, mount and columnating (sp?). Cabelas has this http://www.cabelas.com/product/Wheeler-reg-Professional-Scope-Mounting-Kits/708967.uts. Guess I'll learn a new trade.
    https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2017/4/7/8-questions-to-ask-your-gunsmith-now/

9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    And we wonder why there aren't any gunsmiths around. How much did the DIY kit cost at Cabella's? How much is your time worth? And what will you end up with when your done? Spend over a thousand on rifle & scope and then pinch pennies to get it put together right. I'm sure Cabela's is happy!! When you really need that smith, I hope he is still around. Just sayin'. BTW, Cabela's just got bought by the Wal-Mart of outdoor gear, Bass Pro Shop. Last I checked they don't have any gunsmiths on staff.

10. MarkJnK

MarkJnK Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    I don't think you need to make him feel bad because he wants to learn how to do something himself, instead of paying someone else to do it. Mounting a scope isnt rocket science, and having the tools and know how will serve him well dozens of times in the future. I'm all for supporting local businesses, I am one, but I'm also the type who would encourage a customer to try it themselves if they feel inclined to do so, before billing them for a simple job.

enotstehw and Dry Powder like this.
  11. Dry Powder

Dry Powder Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    The one gunsmith to which I received a recommendation started to back-peddled HARD when I asked how long the work would take and whether I'd be able to pick it up the same day. Spooked me, after all I didn't know the guy from Adam and I had an idea of how much work was involved. So I started sleuthing, I went to state records and found that the address the smith had given me to "drop off" my rifle and scope was registered to an LLC. A little further in I discovered there's no current or old records of that LLC being registered with my state. Not listed with the BBB, no Google or other reviews. I called back again and asked if I could watch him work. "No, I can't do business like that" was his reply. Well, neither can I.

It seems my neighborhood has already been cleansed of legitimate gunsmiths by all of us DIYers. So I looked closer at the mount kit that came with my Sako and discovered the rings weren't even metal, but a semi-soft plastic. Was simple and didn't require anything from the kit at Cabelas. I'll be at the range Friday and we'll see how my bore sighting turned out.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  12. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    DP, I have to ask, are you saying the mount kit that came with your Sako rifle has plastic rings? Are you talking about the rings that attach the scope to the rifle? And they're plastic, wow. I had no idea, they had stooped that low.

13. Dry Powder

Dry Powder Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    @douglastwo The rings I mentioned are a "polymer insert" that looks like a compression ring between the mount rings (metal) and the scope -- they're flat against the scope barrel but convex to seat inside the cupped metal ring mounts. http://www.sako.fi/scope-mounts shows a newer model of what I have.

14. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    They are Sako Optilock rings.....