Can any one help

Discussion in 'Factory Records Services' started by John Edwards, Dec 14, 2016.

1. John Edwards

John Edwards Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    other
    I bought my Sako Hunter 270ca Win in the mid 80's ,but I'm not sure whether its a model 75 or 85 ,I'm guessing when I say 85 ,since the engraving on the stalk appears to be the same .I would just like to know if anyone can tell me the serial number says AV 594965 if that is any help . Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    you have an AV ("A-5") Lightweight Hunter (even though it is probably not that light in weight). Great rifle.

It is on the AV long action, and it pre-dates the model 75 and model 85 rifles. 1980s vintage. the model 75 started production in 1996/97 I think, and the model 85 came after that.

DeerGoose

3. John Edwards

John Edwards Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    other
    20161213_184412.jpg 20161213_184330.jpg 20161213_184412.jpg Here is a couple pics! I was under the impression it was either a 75 or 85 ,but good to know the facts.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  4. John Edwards

John Edwards Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    other
    I have 1 other question ,I've been researching this rifle and none appear to have the copper coloured bolt or chamber as mine, can anyone tell me about that ,was it just for some models or a requasition from the buyer? sorry if this is a dumb question ,I just don't kmnow enough about this gun to know the answers .

5. vigo

vigo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hello John,
    I will chime-in here at the risk of being told I am wrong (again). The earlier SAKO actions from around 1972 to 1980 ish, tended to develop a "plum" colored hue, which SAKO folklore has suggested was based on the metal alloy mix accompanied with the blueing/polishing, as well as exposure to light. Since the copper color on yours is found on the same area's as the plum coloring on the 1970's early 80's SAKO actions, I will stick my neck out yet again and assume that in your case, the "plum" has developed into a "copper" hue. Or, someone buffed the crap out of it. Based on the serial number, I would guess your rifle was made somewhere between 1985 and 1986. Carl.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  6. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Vigo,

Just to say that my Sako L46 Calibre 6, 3 X 33 R which came out of production on 1st October 1949 has a" plum " coloured receiver & barrel. The rifle is all original with Artic Birch stock. The metal work is all original and not re-finished.

Blackjack

7. vigo

vigo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hello Blackjack,
    Not being familiar with (owned) any of the much older SAKO's, that is interesting. Non of my 1960's SAKO's show the "plum" hue, and only one, from the mid-70's does. Also, mine and others I have seen, only have the plum color on the receiver, not on the barrel. Carl.

8. John Edwards

John Edwards Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    other
    Yes that colour is only on the Reciever and bolt, reason I'm asking this is I have a guy who really wants to purchase this rifle ,he has been here on 3 occassions now asking me if I had changed my mind .since I have become a serious archery hunter I have put my guns away and they have sat in the gun locker for almost 8 years now . can anyone tell me how I may be able to find out what this firearm may be valued at. I bought this gun new in the mid 80,s . I appreciate all your help guys with this I find this pretty interesting and should have done this earlier.

9. Sakogun

Sakogun Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It would probably auction for around $1k on gunbroker with the rings included and without the scope. This assumes it is in >95% condition. Honestly, you really don't know what it would sell for until you list it on the open market, as its really worth what people are willing to pay on any given day. A great steal would be below $750.

10. vigo

vigo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hello John,
    Your rifle is, as deergoose stated, the "Hunter" model with the AV long/Magnum action. It is not the "Hunter lightweight" however, since that Model had a trimmed barrel contour (pencil barrel) redesigned stock, and did not have barrel sights. Also, the Hunter Lightweight was not introduced until approximately 1987, which I believe replaced the Hunter Model such as yours made 1985-86. While a nice rifle, the hunter, when introduced was, in SAKO's own words, "Our no-nonsense Hunter offers SAKO quality, accuracy and reliability while keeping economy in mind". Although it is a 30 year old rifle, it was the least expensive offering by SAKO at that time and it really has no collector value. Based on the current slow market, and over-pricing of SAKO rifles, as well as what I see almost every day when searching the firearm sale web pages, $800 would probably be at the high end to find a buyer, assuming excellent condition. Three negatives if I were a buyer is the copper hue on the action, missing the front sight hood and a "general" caliber in .270. It is what it is. More than likely an excellent shooter, that should be used in the field. Also, I would not consider the scope or the mounts in determining your asking price if you want to sell it. The values of the opti-lock mounts/rings and the economy Bushnell scope are insignificant. All just from my experience and viewpoint. Carl

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  11. John Edwards

John Edwards Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks for your honesty Carl, I am glad to have an honest opinion about my rifle , I certainly wouldn't want to look like a total fool when putting a incorrect price on this firearm . I actually like the copper hue and would of that that to part of the appeal .

12. vigo

vigo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hello John,
    I think the copper hue is very neat as well, it's just that most would think "something" was done to cause it. Also, like the old saying goes, beauty is in the eye.....I agree in part with Sakogun, in that you never know who is out there that wants your rifle. My post should be taken from a stand-point of wanting to sell it or not, based on a fair price. Most sellers on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica are pawn-shop owners or on-line only gun shops, who for the most part, have no idea what they have and base their prices on other the other listings of similar makes/models. If they actually spent some time doing research, they would actually find out what they have, price it fairly, sell it, and make some money. However, I am pretty sure the ignorance goes both ways, in that they took in something for a price/trade only to find out it is not valued at what they thought and are now upside-down. I have made numerous fair offers via e-mail to sellers over the years only to be snubbed, as I watch their overpriced offering week after week be re-listed with no bidder. If you want to sell it for a fair price you will. I'm sure others here will disagree with me (which is normal) and provide information that can at least help you find a middle ground. Good luck! Carl.

13. John Edwards

John Edwards Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    other
    Thats all I'm asking for Carl is someone to give some knowledge on my gun and to give me good advice on how to determine what would be a fair price to sell .I have been here before and everytime I'm about to sell ,I change my mind and clean it up and put it back in its rightful spot in the gun cabinet. I haven't fired this gun in a number of years and almost forgot I had it till someone approached me asking if I would sell my rifle to him ,so once again I pull it out and go through the motions again. Thanks for all your advice ,I really appreciate it .

John

14. vigo

vigo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hello John,
    I enjoy providing what information/advice regarding SAKO rifles I have accumulated over the years to anyone here. I'm sure though that other experts here on the forum are much more educated than I am, and can provide you more precise information. Carl.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016