Bolt not opening

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Gavin Mannix, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Gavin Mannix

Gavin Mannix Member

Country Flag:
    Ireland
    State/Region:
    IR Fermanagh
    Hi. I have a problem where I fired a home load and the bolt would not open.I did a bit of fiddling and managed to get the slide back to raise the bolt.I.have fired 5 shots since and it occurs each shot.I presume that there has been a spring or stop broken but I am not sure what needs to be replaced or where I can get one.I was trying to find a diagram of bolt construction but with no luck.Any advice would be welcome.Thanks

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sounds like your bolt guide is sliding forward from recoil & blocking bolt lift. Where the guide attaches to the ring that goes around the bolt is where the problem lies. Parts are quite hard to find depending on the model.

3. Gavin Mannix

Gavin Mannix Member

Country Flag:
    Ireland
    State/Region:
    IR Fermanagh
    Thanks for your reply.I am not sure of model-my father bought it new in 1971.There is a clip under the slide which is intact(as far as I can see).I can push the slide back with difficulty using my fingers then the bolt will lift.I can tolerate this for a while but would prefer have it working properly.If I could find a picture/diagram I could get one engineered but it is proving very difficult.

4. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You have either a L461 (short action), a L579(medium action), or a L61R(long action). The diameters of the bolts are different for each action & will determine what part you need or needs to be repaired. There are schematics on line for each of these actions. If you can tell us what caliber it is we can tell what model you have.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  5. Gavin Mannix

Gavin Mannix Member

Country Flag:
    Ireland
    State/Region:
    IR Fermanagh
    It is .243

6. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    A 1971 Sako in 243 would be a L579. That & the serial number is stamped on the left side of the receiver(action).

7. Gavin Mannix

Gavin Mannix Member

Country Flag:
    Ireland
    State/Region:
    IR Fermanagh
    Got a look at the rifle and you were correct in that it is a L579. The problem is now where to get the diagram to try to replicate the broken part or to buy replacement but there seems to be no where selling them.Ideally I would like to try and get it fixed soon but I hunt with it about twice a week and deer season doesn't end til end of April so don't want to be without it for a long period.I am at a bit of a loss to be honest.

8. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Gavin , Check you private mail,look for" in box" at top right of forum page.

9. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Gavin sent you a PM with a copy of the parts diagram
    Good Luck
    larry

10. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Gavin,

If your bolt guide is NOT cross-drilled for a retaining pin.....it is of later production, which has an internal retaining clip that prevents forward movement of the bolt guide during recoil.

If the internal retaining clip is inverted, it will not prevent the guide from moving forward.

Worse yet.......if the retaining clip is actually missing.......well.....since they're no longer made......you'll have to make one. It's a little difficult, but can be done. Years ago I made one from a small piece of an old Remington magazine spring.

Hope this helps.

11. Gavin Mannix

Gavin Mannix Member

Country Flag:
    Ireland
    State/Region:
    IR Fermanagh
    Hi.

Thanks your reply.It.looks as if my bolt is not cross drilled and I am missing two internal springs for the bolt so have more problems than I thought!

Hopefully I will be able to get something made up but I am surpised at the lack of parts available.I suppose it suggests that there are not often failures.

Attached Files:

12. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Sako still has a bucket load of these parts. Since you are in Ireland you might have a chance to be able to order the parts through GMK.