• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Bofors steel barrels

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

In general, about 1968. But just about anything is possible with the configurations of our rifles.

DeerGoose

I have a Sako Finnbear sn# 23770 that I bought that has no caliber markings on it. The rifle has a fiberglass stock and a parkerized action and barrel. could you tell me the caliber and date manufactured? It is also a L461R action. Thanks Ted

What is the big deal about Bofors barrels?
I know of Bofors history and their big guns.
Are the vintage Sakos with them really any better than the post 71s?

Thanks,

I, personally, like them all. I have just had much more experience with bofors marked sakos and tikkas. All of them make an average shot (ME) a marksman. Not bad for barrels that don't need a lot of TLC. The overall workmanship on these rifles gains my respect the most. Aside from the bofors marking. Regards, Mike

Thanks, Mike.
I agree with your points. I just happen to have a 270 and 243 with Bofors barrels. Finnbear is a gift from my uncle who bought it in new in 1962. It is a true tack driver and in near mint condition, so I baby it.

The 243 has seen a bit more use and has redfield rings on it and a timney trigger. As a purist, I want to install period Sako rings and an original Sako trigger (where to find?).

What do you think?

PS: also would like to round out the battery with a Bofors 223.

A

Tvatva1-There is always e-bay . Med. rings about 45 to 50 . High rings usually over 90. Triggers I've seen alot and know that the prices get ridiculous . I am currently bying some parts from a contact in Texas and he has some Sako rings for fair prices. Let me know what you need and I'll see if I can help or put you in touch with him.Regards, Mike

Thanks, again, Mike.
The pre-72 243 has a period 4x12 Burris which appears servicable. Objective size does not appear larger than usual.
I have a set of high rings which look like they may be too high for this application- do you think mediums would work?
Are low rings too low for a 4x12 or 3x9?

Andy

Andy- Rob just said a mouthful on the bolt clearance. I haven't had a problem yet but I can see the possibilities with some of the high end scopes. Your older burris should be fine with med. sako rings. Measure your objectives. You need to not be over 1 7/8" to use the med. I can't tell you about anything other than an L579 or A11 since I don't have any at this time. Regards, Mike

Thanks Rob and Mike.
Will measure.
Please let me know if any of you come across original trigger for the forester - or was the trigger same for all action sizes?

Andy

Andy- Look at the for sale or trade section of the message forums. Sakobear has what you need-Mike

Latest posts

Back