• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Background info about the Factory Services

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

L61R

SCC President
SCC Board Member
We´ve received a few questions about the new SCC Factory Records services so here is a short summary.

As many, or most individuals interested in Sakos know, it has been extremely hard to determine when a certain Sako firearm were made.

Many of us have wished there were actual records where we could find info about our dear Sakos but, I for one, never anticipated the day would come when we would unearth those records.

So you can imagine I was gobsmacked when I learned that a set of files existed and was at one time given to Mims Reed and Jim Lutes of Sako Collectors Association!

Mims and I have been corresponding over the years and at one time I had to ask if it was possible for me to get a copy of the records, or The Holy Graal you might say.

Yes, was the short answer!

I was kind of taken aback but we decided I was going to meet with Mims while I was visiting Texas last year but due to various reasons, I was unable to meet up.

So I decided to go back to Texas this year and flew in to Dallas to finally meet the man, the myth, the legend!
We had the most fantastic visit and we had such a great time talking Sakos and firearms for hours!
We then decided not to bring the records with us due to a roadtrip around Texas and we did´t want to bring the records with us due to the risk of destroying them.

They came in a small inconspicuous box which contained loads of thin plastic sheets of microfiche. This way of storing data is now almost obsolete and it´s very prone to deterioration.

So we decided on yet a visit, and with the help from stonecreek who lives just a few hours away, we got hold of the files a couple of weeks later.

Mims asked for nothing in return more than that we recognize the work he and Jim Lutes started out so long ago, which we all do. And I think he is a bit proud that we do just that by continuing to discuss Sakos here at SCC.

So, now that we had the files we had to try and find a company who could transfer them to some kind of computerized file format. There are several companies doing this but most were out of state and we didn´t want to risk anything by shipping it across the U.S.

Finally we decided on local business who carried out the work, which took a couple of months.

Due to the format it is very expensive to do such a conversion and since the files are mainly handwritten, it was even harder for the company to do the job properly.

Unfortunately, it was not possible to do a conversion so we can do automated searches.

Since the files are handwritten in Finnish and contains a lot of abbreviations and "company lingo" a real person must do the searches which takes time. This because the files are organized in two parts, a Production file and a Sales file.

From the start, our idea has always been to share as much as possible from the files. When we are doing research we will make notes of as much as possible and share it here on the forum, in the Member Zone for free. This will be done over time and we hope you will find this interesting and use the info for new and good posts.

But, it is impossible for us to search for information on each members individual rifles due to the time it takes to do the searches. We spend a lot of time running this site and doing a lot of back end work and it´s just impossible for the reasons stated earlier. It´s just a hobby after all and I don´t think anyone would expect us to spend even more time than what we are doing now?

But we still want to help all interested members out, hence the need for a nominal donation to the Club to reimburse the researcher and to reimburse us for what we´ve spent so far.

Therefore, we decided early on that we should make SCC a U.S non-profit association to make sure that no individual would make money or profit on this project. This means we must follow the rules and regulations and keep books of what we do. Also, we are not incorporated by any means.

Since the Board Members have jobs and other priorities in life apart from SCC (yes we actually do have such!) we will have to get help with much of the actual searches. Those people will also have to be reimbursed for their time.

We also want to get our money back for all the costs of converting the files and all other expenses we have had during this project. This runs in to several thousands of dollars so far.

When we do so, all proceeds from the project will be put to the upkeep of SCC, to develop the site and for future events and happenings on the site. Running a site like this isn´t free you know.

I am not complaining here, I started this and have been running SCC because I think it is amazingly fun and interesting on so many levels! I´ve also made so many friends from all over the world.

I just want to emphasize that even if it appears easy and simple, it just isn´t.
And since I am not really a computer guy, we need professional help to run SCC, and that comes with a price tag too unfortunately.

So, that was the background of the Records Services plus some other information you all might find interesting.

All the best!

Jim

Latest posts

Back