• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

AIII restoration

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

sakorick

Some of the late 70's deluxe guns had a very bad batch of stock finish. I have seen some that look 1/2 melted and others that are simply shattered. I have been stock making for some 40 years and have made some decent $$$ restoring these problem guns. I found a Sako AIII deluxe that had a shattered finish and picked it up for $700. It's chambered in the popular 7MM Remington Magnum and the metal is overall good+. For starters you have to get the old finish off.....this is not easy! Sako heaped a ton of poly on these deluxe models and I suspect this was part of the problem. Anyway, their finish I am certain would not pass any ocea standards as Strypeeze barely makes a dent in the stuff. It does however soften the goo to where you can scrape it with a hard plastic scraper. After some 5 to 7 coats most of the finish is history(use surgical gloves!)....then the hard part starts.....hand sanding to remove all traces of the old finish. I use 180 grit followed by 220. Caution....do not get aggressive here, just take your time and let the sandpaper do the work using very light pressure. It took me 2 weeks with the chemicals and just one morning of sanding. I have put a hand rubbed coat of TruOil over the entire stock inside and out. Now I will let it completely dry for 24 hours and inspect for blemishes. I will then use masking tape to cover the checkering and butt pad that has also been sanded. Here are a few photos so far. I will be back in a few days to explain the spray finish process. Stay tuned! Regards, Rick.

Attachments

• AIII3.jpg
    AIII3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 145
  • AIII4.jpg
    AIII4.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 143
  • AIII5.jpg
    AIII5.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 144
  • AIII6.jpg
    AIII6.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Rick,

Thanks for your instructions on this process. I have a couple of stocks that I have been thinking about salvaging. However I have been hesitant not having done this before. It looks like with the proper chemical and a great deal of patience that I may be able to do this myself. I will be interested to see your final results. Thanks again.

You can do it I promise. Round 2. I found all the dents and blems easily and sanded them out before church this morning. Then I masked the buttpad and checkering and applied another coat of hand rubbed TruOil. That first coat of oil really takes all the guesswork out of what need sanding and what is good to go. I stripped all of #1's coat off with 220 then 400 and applied coat #2. From here on out it will be an aerosol job. You know when the sanding is done when your fingers hurt!out it will be an aerosol job. You know when the sanding is done when your fingers hurt!
AIII7.jpg

AIII8.jpg

AIII9.jpg

AIII10.jpg

​Just an update. With the cold weather I can't spray the finish. I am patiently waiting for some moderation here. I'll post when done. Regards, Rick.

Back