1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

AI and Optilocks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by antsa, Nov 17, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. antsa

antsa Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU South Australia
    Just purchased a AI .222, serial no. 80xxxx. Waiting on the transfer paperwork to be processed by the Police before I can take possession (that's the way it works here in South Australia).

My plan is to mount a 2-10x32 scope with a 30mm tube on it. Was thinking of using Optilock one-piece ringmounts. The height of the low 30mm mount from the bottom to the scope centre-line is 29mm. The diameter of the ocular is about 46mm. Wondering if there is any risk of the bolt handle hitting the scope?

I have rings and bases on my Sako 85's but have never used the one-piece mounts before. Is the forward mount positioned in the same way as with a base - in line with the ejection port - or further forward?

Any and all tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Even the "low" Optilock rings are very (in my opinion, excessively) tall. You'll have no problem with bolt or barrel clearance with a scope with an outside bell diameter of 46mm.

However, assuming your A-I is a sporter, it would seem a shame to burden such a light and trim rifle with mounts as heavy and bulky as the Optilocks. Why don't you try a set of the sleek and simple Leupold ringmounts instead? If your A-I is a heavy barrel then the weight of the Optilocks is not an issue.

3. antsa

antsa Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU South Australia
    Thanks SC, It's a sporter. Will shop around for the Loopies and check them out

Cheers

4. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hey antsa, I have an A1 .222 sporter with 4-12x42 Lynx in Leupold ringmounts which just clears the barrel and bolt handle - definately recommend looking into them for your application.

Where in South Aus are you? I'm just over the border near Hamilton.

Marcus

5. antsa

antsa Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU South Australia
    Hello Marcus

I'm south of Adelaide on the Fleurieu Peninsula in the southern Mount Lofty Ranges. I've been reading your various posts on your 20-222 on different forums. Must say that they inspired me to look for an older Sako and go down the same path. As told, I found a nice AI pretty close to home. Waiting for the paperwork here in SA to go through. It's in very good nick and I'm not sure that I will want to re-barrel.
    Will gladly tap your wealth of knowledge if I do ;).

Thanks for the scope info

Cheers

A