1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed bedding

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by abi mod75, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. abi mod75

abi mod75 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hi guys
    I own a sako 75 I seem to have some movement with my action in the stock is that normal or should i consider bedding, if so what are the pros and cons.
    Thanks

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    A barreled action that moves around in a stock is not normal for ANY rifle. I think you should consider what is wrong before doing anything. Sakos are generally fitted very well at the factory & gain little from bedding.

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    glass it in.

4. abi mod75

abi mod75 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Update
    After bedding the the action as i was tapping the barrel to release it out of the stock the but came apart and fell clean off the rest of the stock. After all the work i put into a near perfect bedding job i was so horrifiedly bumbfound ( if that makes sence) i didn't even swear, a word of warning check your stock for cracks before you you do any work to it.
    Moving on what other options are there for an improved stock for the 75 or is the origional the best option that are available in Australia.
    Thanks in advance.

5. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    So glue your butt back on and go shoot. No pun intended.

rick

6. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Photos would help, depending on the break it could be possible to pin and epoxy the butt on, Unless it's broken through the wrist.
    What caliber?
    Any chance to return the stock to Beretta? typically they don't like having broken gun photos on the internet!

7. abi mod75

abi mod75 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hi grey fox i have glued and pinned the stock although it the stock has lost its aesthetic apeal i would like to see what it groups like after bedding. Beretta usa has the stock but wont ship to australia so i have asked Beretta aust to get one for me still waiting for a reply cal is 270 win will post pics soon. There are stock makers here, but i would like to keep the origional stock on it.

8. abi mod75

abi mod75 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    20170817_183947.jpg 20170817_184851.jpg
    Tried to attach more pics but the files were too big

9. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    #1 Beautiful repair!
    #2 No, I would n't shoot that !

You did a great job but the stock has been compromised, even epoxy and pinning, too much risk or losing and eye or hand - is it worth it?

Do you have photos of the stock before repair? Beretta Aust should get that replaced and off the internet before it goes viral.? What is wrong with these people!
    USA won't ship to Australia? Beretta will not send to Beretta?

10. abi mod75

abi mod75 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I have screwed a 14 gauge batten screw diagonally to hold the two pieces clamping on that angle wasn't an option. :mad: I guess your right its not worth the injury, I had to put it back together to get it replicated any way, at this rate I might be taking that option if Beretta doesn't pull their finger out.

11. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I can't speak to your particular repair since I don't know exactly how it was done, but modern epoxies are stronger than the wood they join. Cosmetics are another issue, but a properly repaired stock, even when broken through the wrist, can be as strong or stronger than the original.

12. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Your repair looks great. Given the work that you did on this repair I would shoot it and not worry. A repair like this using epoxy etc. will hold together with no problems assuming your description of the repair to be as advertised. In fact, that crack was probably in the thing for years before you gave it the nudge it needed to actually break. Go shoot it.

rick

13. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Rick, Stone, For the first time, I disagree. Is it worth your sight, your hearing, your hands, or the safety of those around you?
    If the through stock broke in one area what about the rest of the stock? Where is the void that will send the wood splintering?
    Why risk it?

Modern epoxies are great, not doubt, but they are not perfect and may not be applied or mixed perfectly.

Further without doing a complete NDI on it, Sorry, just not worth it.

14. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Suit yourself but you could probably use the stock as a bat and rap it against a tree and the tree would break before the stock.

rick

15. abi mod75

abi mod75 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Whats an NDI ??

16. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Non destructive Inspection, Ultra sound, x-ray, flux. Mostly in metal but can be applied in wood, especially laminates.

17. abi mod75

abi mod75 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Cool thanks grey fox, still looking for another stock no luck yet