• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

A Few L46 Questions

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

South Pender

I've noticed that somewhere around the middle 1950s, the L46 actions went to a milled-steel bottom-metal unit--replacing the bent steel strap unit that had appeared in earlier models--greatly improving the aesthetics of the action in my opinion. Was this change reflected in higher prices for used L46s years later, or was it pretty much ignored and considered irrelevant?

I've also noticed quite a variation in wood characteristics and quality in the L46 rifles. Some of the stocks seem to be a light-colored wood with almost no figure whatsoever (was this Arctic birch?), whereas some appear to be walnut with the typical grain patterns found in lower grades of European walnut. Was this related to when, during the 1946-1961 period of the L46 rifles, the rifles were produced? Or was there a steady mixture of wood types over that period of their production?

Finally, has there been something of a consensus that more hand-fitting and higher-quality assembly and finishing was found in the L46 rifles than in the L461 rifles that succeeded them? Perhaps smoother operating characteristics? The only aesthetic feature that puts me off the L46s a little is the boxy bolt sleeve, although, if I've got this right, this did include a bolt-sleeve safety that cammed the the cocking piece back from the sear, rather than a safety that worked on the trigger as found in the later L461s.

Any and all insights and opinions about the L46 rifles most welcome!

Last edited:
Perhaps the milled steel bottom metal as opposed to the stamped metal is more desirable, but "older" is always more desirable than "newer", so those factors seem to offset one another in price.

One of the things that Jan Winter (Firearms International) insisted on when he began to import Sakos to the U.S. was the make-0ver of the birch stocks (sometimes plain and sometimes checkered) to walnut. Sako did, however, continue to produce L46's with Arctic Birch stocks for distribution domestically and in Europe. All of those blond stocks you see are walnut, but earlier walnut Sakos used either no stain or a very light colored stain. Later standard grades used a rather dark stain, while Deluxes continued with the light stain.

I've noted no difference in the quality of late L46's and early L461's. In fact, they were both coming out of the factory contemporaneously for a period of time. Some people prefer the bolt safety (L46) which locks the firing pin, while others prefer the handier and quieter trigger safety (L461) which only freezes the trigger. The bolt safety is definitely the more positive of the two.

The very early L46s with the domestic type left wing safety definitely did not have as high a standard of bluing as the later ones produced for export. Also no or just pistol grip checkering on the early birch stocked ones. As stonecreek mentions Jan Winter had a lot to do with improving the ‘finish’ of the L46s for the US export market. A late L46 is definitely a very well finished rifle all over. Particularly, the second run small batch that was only sold domestically.
The milled bottom metal was actually an item you could purchase separately to replace your stamped bottom metal once it became available.

The birch stocks can look pretty good though I reckon too.
277A7F31-9125-44A4-9809-6BC927C69D55.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Top Gear,

We still have not got to the bottom of the flame streaked artic birch stocks on the early L 46's. Is your pictured artic birch stock natural? or is It flame scorched? I really think that a thorough discussion is warented on this subject! My L46 - 6, 3 X 33 R is In suberb condition 1st October 1949, but the artic bitch stock is dark & plain. I really must post photo's soon, and they are long over due. Sorry.

Blackjack

Latest posts

Back