• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

85 Finnlight 6.5x55 Barrel Length

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I'm looking to purchase a Model 85 Finnlight in 6.5x55 but I'm confused as the barrel length is listed as being 24.37" on the dealer website. Sako's website list the length as 22.44". Has Sako offered this rifle with the longer barrel at some time in the past? A call to the dealer resulted in no solid answer as the rifle is in a warehouse somewhere. Perhaps the early 85s had a longer barrel... Any help appreciated.

You can get a precise measurement using a cleaning rod measuring from muzzle to closed boltface.-Misako

I have not yet purchased the rifle.
They are probably using two different formats to arrive at their published data. Good rule to follow is the above method which I believe came from our member "Stonecreek". Without a human being able to handle the rifle. It is doubtful we can help but don't give up. I have been wrong before.(once)-Misako

image.jpg Hi 6ppc
Is this a new or second hand rifle?if second hand it may have a custom barrel fitted
I am not aware of Sako changing the barrel lengths

85 finnlights come in 3 barrel lengths depending on the action , 24.4 is the length of the long / short mag action , 22.4 is the medium action (6.5 x55)
Dealer may have his action data mixed up?
Hope this is of some help
Mark

I would go with Mark's (Sako) figures i.e. 22.4". I have measured both my 85 Finnlights using Misako's method and they are as Sako specifications - David.

The rifle is new and listed on the dealer's website. Also found two other dealers listing Finnlights in 6.5x55 with 24.4" barrel. As you guys noted the standard is 22.4 and all the ones I've found on Gun Broker are this shorter length but the prices are $200-$300 more! For my purposes I am most interested in the 22.4" length as I looking for a light rifle to carry up and down the hills in HI as I am heading there for my next duty assignment. Seems the Sako Finnlight in 6.5x55 would be ideal for the pigs, sheep, and goats that roam the islands.

If you buy it & it does come with the longer barrel, it would be a simple matter to cut it to any shorter length you prefer. Cut & crown jobs are usually under $100. Great cartridge & it will be lethal on those island beasties.

I bought my 6.5x55 Finnlight in Nov 2012 I just measured the barrel as above method it is 22.4" so that should help end the confusion. I have shot the 6.5 in several different rifles but this one is by far the best that I have ever had and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Back