• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Ammunition 7x33 sako factory ammo

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

susanna

merry chrismas all

this box & 4 others where ordered through a sydney gun shop some weeks back, sort of testing the water. not really thinking we would get it. $80AD x 50 rnds, cheap when we paid $132AD for 100 unprimed cases ! mate took 4 boxes & me, just this one.

loose packed in a box the would hold 200. h/s looks the same as some i have probably from the 70's.

a sydney collector mate has found another 7x33, ser no 6xxx L/H safety. over all av condition, it has since had a full restoration. barrell is as new.

sako 7x33 factory loaded ammo 002.jpg sako 7x33 factory loaded ammo 003.jpg sako 7x33 factory loaded ammo 005.jpg

I ordered some a few weeks ago when I thought I had secured a L46 to shoot it out of. 100 rounds of ammo arrived as per susanna's pics, but rifle sale unfortunately fell through! So now back on the look out for another L46 rifle.
Merry Christmas to all…..

I ordered some a few weeks ago when I thought I had secured a L46 to shoot it out of. 100 rounds of ammo arrived as per susanna's pics, but rifle sale unfortunately fell through! So now back on the look out for another L46 rifle.
Merry Christmas to all…..

I could sell you mine but you are a long way away!

That's very cool,
last boxes i saw here, was long ago, from QGE and they were the redish 50 round boxes.
Any ideas why they are loose filled? Any evidence they assembled here from empty cases?

L-46

Last edited:
susanna - Do you know if these new loaded rounds will fit in the older short magazine?

sraaw - don't worry most of us have been, or are in a similar situation. I have a life times supply of brass and Tom Turton 78grn projectiles and simplex dies waiting for a 7x 33 to show up. I can't complain too much I managed to snag a L46 hornet a while back :)

Also out of interest to our non-Australian members Simplex here in Australia has some 7x33 dies in stock - both 5/8 and 7/8 die sets and also a full length vice resizing die. From memory the 5/8 dies were $60 (neck sizing only) and the 7/8 dies $160 (full length sizing only) and the vice full length die $25.

I'm actually thinking about getting a 7x33 reamer (ptg sells one for $138) and simply making my own 7x33 riihimaki or even a 7x33 on a L461 ! If one doesn't show up in the next 12-18 months!

7x33 ammo

That's very cool,
last boxes i saw here, was long ago, from QGE and they were the redish 50 round boxes.
Any ideas why they are loose filled? Any evidence they assembled here from empty cases?

L-46

no idea as to why they are loose packed, would think its was the easy way for a low production run. had a mate who was a guest of sako back in 2005 or there abouts, while there he was shown many unprimed 7x33 cases. these may well be the end result. like the good fins they are , never throw anything away would still have all the factory loading dies ect ? either way im happy to have some.
as an ammo collector i have many early styles of sako ammo boxes inc quite a few projectile pkts, all the early 7x33 rnds i have fired & pulled for scientific reasons have been berdan primed, would love to know when they went to single flash hole brass.
please scc members your thoughts on this.

topgear-- my 7x33 is ser no 20xx l/h safety . these rnds fit my mags no problem. you know tom turton ? the story in guns & game magazine a few issues back used quite a few of tom's projectiles. work quite well in my rifle. have known tom for many years.
i have all of the dies you mentioned, to any memebers who are intersted they can be bought from western firearms here in sydney if not in stock can be ordered, ken will ship them to where ever is required. he also has sako 7x33 brass in stock. the 5/8" dies look like the old lyman thread but ARE not,will only fit the aust made simplex 5/8" press.
if you are interested in buying a reamer i would be interested in a share of the cost.have an L46 rifle here that would be a perfect candidate.
topgear what state are you in ? me, s/w sydney.
have also picked up an L46 hornet ser 65xx, problem is it was a basket case that has been rebuilt to as new. i have the original correct barrell that was removed from it . 450mm long your thoughts please scc members.

Topgear, I got close, but no cigar…. I initially researched the local options for ammo/components and found Toms phone number. Then I found that they were available loaded from Sako, and grabbed them while the going was good, so never called Tom. The magazine article mentioned using a 270 neck die for the 7x33, so I was not aware Simplex produce them. Thanks susanna, I will have to give western firearms a call after the holidays.

Since missing out on the sale I have been contemplating building one based on a L461 as well. Like susanna, I would be interested in contributing towards a reamer if you are interested in sharing. I will need a donor action which will be relatively easy to locate by comparison.
Cheers,

susanna - I only know Tom from buying projectiles off him. Last time I got 700 78grn 7mm projectiles and I think it was the last of his stock. Also picked up some of his 30 and 35 grn .224 projectiles as well. Talking with him on the phone he seems like he is slowing down on making projectiles and sticking only with a few of the popular ones and he didn't know if he would make any more 7mm ones which is a bit of a shame.

I'm about 6-7 hrs west of you in NSW in the western Riverina.

PTG list two reamers:
7mm x 33 FINNISH RIMLESS (7 x 33 SAKO)
$138.00
7mm x 33 SAKO
$138.00

I'm just making enquiries now to see if there is a difference (I think not). I'd be happy to share it around to you any SCC members that are interested.

I'm also looking at seeing if TSE will do a 7mm in there light vixen profile - see http://www.tsengineering.com.au/barrels/barrel-profiles/ they are a nice match for the riihimaki's profile and I've got one here in .224 that fits like a glove to the early pancake riihimaki stock inlet. I think there around $350.

So for under $500 for the reamer and barrel I can put together a 7x33 riihimaki for hunting pretty cheap. I wouldn't have thought of doing it before but with this new sako brass it opens up this option. I have 300 new cases now which would see out one rifle I would imagine.

Anyway I'll let you know details on the reamer when I find out :thumb:

sraaw - seems like there is a bit of interest in the old 7x33. I'll let you know when I hear back from ptg regarding the reamer.

no idea as to why they are loose packed, would think its was the easy way for a low production run. had a mate who was a guest of sako back in 2005 or there abouts, while there he was shown many unprimed 7x33 cases. these may well be the end result. like the good fins they are , never throw anything away would still have all the factory loading dies ect ? either way im happy to have some.
as an ammo collector i have many early styles of sako ammo boxes inc quite a few projectile pkts, all the early 7x33 rnds i have fired & pulled for scientific reasons have been berdan primed, would love to know when they went to single flash hole brass.
please scc members your thoughts on this.
Susanna,
I have quite a lot of both types of Sako brass, from memory most of the berdan primed brass had a green seal around the primer? maybe they where mercury based? or the seal was to keep the primer dry?
I think they went to the single flashhole in the late fifty's, but i have never tried to date some of the ammo i have.
Most of the early wing safety rifles that we bought back 20 years ago, came with fired cases, alot of which was berdan primed. Which makes one think that is was available for quite a few years into the fifty's.

L-46

sraaw - seems like there is a bit of interest in the old 7x33. I'll let you know when I hear back from ptg regarding the reamer.

John, I have quite a few PTG reamers are they are good to deal with.
They will send you the "print" of both those if you are interested, just to check that one 'print' has not been "improved" by an enthusiast!!

Cheers
L-46

I put my order in for some of the loaded 7x33 last week. Supposedly 600 were still in stock at Beretta Aus. That will be down to 400 now.

I have been considering a 7x33 project for a while. Something like a lightweight stainless synthetic carbine for targeting wild dogs, foxes and the occasional pig or goat.
Looks like I might have missed out on the Turton projectiles but I do have a couple of hundred Sako softpoint projectiles stashed away.

Back