1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

.270 help please

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Fubarredz, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Fubarredz

Fubarredz Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    So I got a question guys! I jus recently found a older l61r in .270 year 1964 barrel marked Boffers Steel looks like it has never been shot, i also have a l61r in .270 year 1968 that's not stamped Boffers Steel! The Boffers steel barrel is a thinner barrel why is this and do you think I should get rid of the older rifle or the newer rifle, because I have to get rid of one of them. Which one would y'all pick. They are both super clean rifles with no scratches or bluing fade.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    How did you establish the year these rifles were made? The barrel contours changed over time, but I don't think it changed from 64 to 68. The change came around the time the importer switched from FI to Garcia, circa early 1970's. The Bofors stamped barrels do have a cult following that would add to it's desirability. The early ones are preferred by many for their lighter more streamlined "feel", but to others it matters less. More a personal choice as the "values" won't be substantially different. I'm sure other opinions will vary, as no two "collectors" view a rifle the same way.

3. Fubarredz

Fubarredz Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    1964 .270 sn:10072
    1968 .270 sn:40xxx
    I filled out the forms on them and paid $10.00!

4. Fubarredz

Fubarredz Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    1964 L61r .270 barrel OD at muzzle .594......
    1968 L61r .270 barrel OD at muzzle .645......

5. Fubarredz
    This message by Fubarredz has been removed from public view. Deleted by Fubarredz, Dec 7, 2017, Reason: Wrong.
    Dec 7, 2017 Show
  6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Good to know! Thanks! Guess they changed contours more than was thought.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Those figures sound about right. The early ones I've measured run right at .600", while the later ones are usually just under .650". There is a small taper right at the muzzle, so it is sometimes difficult to get a precisely consistent measurement. The .05" difference in diameter carries proportionally back to the chamber taper, so it adds a lot more weight than you might otherwise expect. An experienced "Sako guy" can instantly feel the difference in the grip and fore end diameter of the early vs. later Sakos. This isn't meant to be a brag, just an illustration of how much difference there is: You can blindfold me and hand me an L61R and I can unerringly tell you whether it is the "early" or "late" model, more from the feel of the grip than from its weight (my perception of weight varies with the time of day and how worn out I feel:().

I've seen both "light" and "heavy" barrels in Sakos made around 1968-69. As we know, Sako never seemed to make instant changeovers, so both "light" and "heavy" barrels and stocks were probably being shipped from the factory contemporaneously over a period of time.

Along with barrel diameter and stock dimensions, there are some other indicators of the early L61R's: 1. Open nut on the LH side of the stock crossbolt. 2. "S"-shaped magazine release. 3. Square floorplate tang. 4. Plastic grip cap. 5. Two-point fore arm checkering pattern (as opposed to three-point). However: These features can be "mix and match" in that not all rifles exhibit them since, as I said earlier, Sako would use all existing parts even after a new part design had been adopted.

The only consistent feature of the early L61R's appears to be the Bofors Steel mark on the barrel. I have not seen a heavier barrel L61R with the Bofors mark -- although that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

8. Fubarredz

Fubarredz Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thank you for all that info.

9. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    One other comment about the "light" and "heavy" barrels on the L61's. The light barrels start the taper toward the muzzle at a point about 3/4" from the receiver, whereas the heavy barrel starts the taper about 1.5" to 2" from the receiver. I've never measured these, so my numbers should be considered "ball park". I'm sure Stone or one of our other more knowledgeable members can provide more accurate info.

10. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Yes, this has been my experience as well.
    oh, yeah. They exist, but are really scarce. I have two of them. My pride and joy is in .270, (what I call) medium contour barrel stamped "Bofors", no grip cap and medium stained wood. serial is #32,xxx, as I recall. Really nice rifle, but I've beat it up a bit while hunting with it in my 20's. I retired that rifle years ago, and the pad is squashed. I've got an old pic of the rifle that attempts to show the beefier bbl. The other one that I have is in '06.

great topic !!
    DeerGoose

Sako.270_4.jpg

11. Woodsman

Woodsman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    If it were me I'd probably opt for the Bofors stamped rifle especially if it in slightly better condition.

FYI. I just measured my 27xxx Bofors marked heavy barrel in 30-06. The muzzle diameter is .645 and the taper starts about 3/4" from the receiver. The variations sure are interesting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 3:18 AM
  12. Fubarredz

Fubarredz Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Mine is a 1964 sn:100xx. By what I can tell yours is 1967-1968ish I'm guessing there must have been a change. Between my year and yours!