• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

222 rem flyers

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Barry Dewick

Hi finally got my Vixen in 222 rem and it s in nice shape
The groups were poor so I did the following
glass bed the action and 1 1/2 in of the barrel
lightly polished the muzzle
free floated the barrel
Loaded a series of shells with 2 different powder and match bullets
Now shooting some decent 3 shot groups
The problem is flyers-all to often it s 2 in a hole and 1 a 1 in away
Any ideas
thanks barry

Multiple causes for flyers you describe. Inconsistent brass prep, variation in neck tension holding the bullet, poor cartridge concentricity, shooting to fast causing barrel to heat up too much, wind conditions, etc, etc,. Then the most common factor, Operator error!! Try shooting some 5 shot groups and see if you get two tightly clustered groups or 2 or 3 holes separated by a 1/2" to 1" space. If it's not operator error, like most of mine are, then it's most likely a neck tension or other brass issue. Free floating a Sako is not necessarily a good idea, especially a sporter model. If all else fails glass a new pressure point in the forearm. Remember too, that all 50 to 60 year old Sakos can't be expected to shoot benchrest type groups. Getting MOA with a minimal amount of load development ain't bad!! Good Luck!

Hi the brass is new hornady brass with the necks turned
I m using Lee collet dies and the runout is 2 to 3 th
I will try a bit of pressure on the forend
The barrel had been freefloated to some extent before I
got the rifle so it was a matter of clean up
Maybe I m asking too much from old eyes and a old rifle
Thanks Barry

This may not apply to your rifle specifically but I learned long ago to give any pre owned rifle a good cleaning. One in particular would not group even though the bore looked good after a few patches with solvent and bronze brush.
After checking all the usual suspects for issues to no avail I spent an hour scouring the bore with JB's and Kroil. Three shot Groups now average 1/2 to 5/8" with only light cleanings between shooting sessions. Never trust the last guy to take care of a gun.

Hi the brass is new hornady brass with the necks turned
I'm not sure that thinning the neck walls unnecessarily with a factory chamber is a good idea. Unlike match chambers which have necks cut very tight so that the handloader can then turn the case necks so that they have absolute minimal clearance, a factory chamber (even with a Sako) will have a somewhat generous neck diameter, so thinning the brass any further tends to allow the cartridge to "rattle around" in the chamber even more (particularly with brand new or FL sized brass). Are you having the same grouping difficulty with the same brass after it is neck sized-only in the Collet die?

Hi--I fire formed the brass before starting to work up a load
I turned the necks ever so lightly just enough to even out the neck thickness
I cleaned the barrel when I rec d the rifle but maybe not well enough
I am in the process of doing a through cleaning
with Kroil and JB
I will try again on Sat morning
Thanks Barry

Hi Cali---thanks for the tip about cleaning--I gave it the cleaning of its life using JB and Kroil also used a bronze brush
Shot some very nice 3 shot groups using old Rem match bullets
and 4895 too bad they are no longer made
Thanks Barry

Hi Cali---thanks for the tip about cleaning--I gave it the cleaning of its life using JB and Kroil also used a bronze brush
Shot some very nice 3 shot groups using old Rem match bullets
and 4895 too bad they are no longer made
Thanks Barry
Good it worked out for you, a good cleaning is always step #1 on a used rifle with me. More than one "no good" rifle was just dirty and neglected.

+1 on the thorough cleaning of any newly purchased used rifle.

I bought an Anschutz 1532 .222 for $Aus250 because "it won't hit the side of a barn". Once I cleaned the copper mine from the bore it shot factory Rem 50gn PSP loads into around 1" at 100m, and places its pet load of 40gn v-maxes and 19.5gn ADI 2207 into less than 0.5".

Marcus

Back