1. For reasons unknown to us at SCC, it seems that SCC members who are AT&T users experience issues with emails and personal messages when using our forum. This is not unique to SCC and several other internet sites are reporting the same issues. Todo10, the company who helps us with the forum and hosting, have file a complaint with AT&T but we are not convinced AT&T will do anything about it. The only way around this is to register and use another email address not connected to AT&T. We are sorry for any inconveniences this might cause! Please check this link for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Blocked-Domain-Email-or-IP-address-Questions-and-Discussion/td-p/4961060/page/28 More info will come when we know more! With kind regards Jim aka L61R
    Dismiss Notice

.222 R Mag.

Discussion in 'Handloads for all Sako models' started by wombat, Nov 5, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hi to all Sakoholics,
    Not sure if I mentioned before, just got a L461 HB in .222R Mag. Sn 121xxx, just shot off my first reloads, using AR2207 and AR2206H under 50gn Hornady SP, shot about .6" - .8" I also will be trying out some Berger 50gn. HP. Pretty happy with that so far, anyone can give me other options, as far as powder goes, we are a little limited here for US powders, but I can get W748. V130 and V133 also R-7 and of course all the Australian ADI powders. I reckon this rifle has potential for sub .5" groups, I plan to use it for Fox and rabbits, if I can find any!? Looking forward to any feedback, thanks - Jay

2. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    G'day Wombat. I don't have any experience with a .222Mag, but in an L461 .223 I have found that a combination of 27gn of BM2 with a 40gn Sierra BKs shoots nice little groups.

Looking forward to seeing how the final recipe you arrive at performs.

Marcus

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    AR2207 (H4198) and AR2206H (H4895) are two excellent powders for this class of cartridge. I wouldn't feel handicapped if they were the only ones available to me.

AR2207 does best with the light bullets (50 and under). I just got back from a prairie dog hunt a few weeks ago where I used a 40 grain Nosler propelled by 25.6 grains of H4198 (AR2207) for 3700 fps in a .222 Magnum. It was accurate and devastating.

AR2206H will do well with 50-60 grain bullets, although I rarely find need of anything heavier than 55 in this class of cartridge.

Hint: The .222 Magnum has about 5% more case capacity than the .223. You can use .223 loading data as a guide and usually work up to .223 "maximum loads" and still have a safe pressure margin in your .222 Magnum. It is true that the SAAMI pressure maximum is higher for the .223, but this is a historical matter of convenience to allow the .223 to reach a certain velocity in the original AR-15 platform to meet military specs at the time. The commercial cartridge cases for the two are of exactly the same construction and the .222 Magnum (as well as the .222) can be loaded to .223 pressures with no problems, particularly in a modern bolt gun like a Sako.

4. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I have several 222 mags and I use H-335 powder in them. What availability to that powder is in Australia, I have no idea. H-335 powder is what I use in all my 223 sized cases and it works great. 28 grains in the 222 mag puts a 40 grain V-Max out at about 3800 FPS. That cartridge with that bullet has just about made me retire all my 22-250's and 220 Swifts...

100_0090.JPG

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Kirk: I didn't mention H335 because it probably isn't available in Australia, but like you, it has always been my go-to powder in .222, .223, and .222 Magnum. I've used it in both commercial and military versions (WC844) and had great success with both. It is the original powder developed for the military 5.56 (.223).

However, the data on the relatively new Hodgdon CFE223 looks outstanding. I've only used it thus far in a .308, but its performance in that round is better than anything else I've ever tried. CFE 223 is made in the U.S. so I doubt it is currently available in Australia, but if it is I'd recommend Wombat try some.

6. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    KIrk n Stone, thanks for response and all that information.
    I am going out again tomorrow with some more loads to test, 2207 and a few with R7. But so far the 2207 is looking the go, and there is no problem with supply. I can see this rifle getting a bit of use, accurate and a great trigger. Will try to get a pic of the set up.
    Tx. Jay

7. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hello Kirk, just been looking at the pic of your .222RM rifles, what are the mounts on the bottom 2, the HB guns, the bottom one are Leupold, what height are these, as I want to put a Swarovski 4-12x50 or a Meopta 4-12x50 on my HB.
    Tx. Jay

8. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    The other set is high Redfield bases and rings and that is a Swarovski Z-3 4-12X50 scope on both rifles. The Leupolds are extra high rings.

9. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Got out this morning to test fire some reloads, 50gn Hornady sp and some Berger 50gn hp, both sub Moa, but I reckon there is potential to improve on that, just got s pic of the rifle, I usually take out my portable shooting bench, but got out and just shot on bags off the Hilux bonnet, being morning there was less wind, as arvo' lately have been very windy. Jay

Attached Files: