• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Load for Sako 75 Varmint in .223 Rem.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

On Sunday I headed off to the 100-yard range to test my first batch of 50 reloads for my new (to me) Sako 75 Varmint in .223 Rem. Conditions were less than ideal:

Sako-75-rotated-cropped-01.jpg

Sako_75_rotated_cropped_01.jpg

The temperature was 32°F; the wind was gusting at up to 15-20 mph.

Despite incipient hypothermia I managed to produce this final target with the load I may well settle on:

Sako_75_target_18.3.18.jpg

(The two diamonds to the right were fired under poor conditions using cartridges with a random selection of powder charges and seating depths).

The load is:

Lapua Match .223 brass
CCI BR4 primers
40 grain Hornady V-Max bullet
0.248" bushing in my Redding Type S full length Match dies
Seating depth: 10 thou off the lands
25.9 grains of Vihtavuori N133 powder (Max. recommended load in the manual).

Using my MagnetoSpeed V3 an admittedly small number of rounds fired gave me an average of 3,524 fps and an SD of 15.6.

(Note: The previous owner shortened the barrel to about 20").

An overall average of about 0.33 MOA looks very promising at this stage. I look forward to refining the load further.

maximus otter

Last edited:
That is fantastic grouping, particularly under those conditions. Remember, the pursuit of perfection is the enemy of the enjoyment of excellence. Maybe you should stop with your load development right where you are!

That is fantastic grouping, particularly under those conditions. Remember, the pursuit of perfection is the enemy of the enjoyment of excellence. Maybe you should stop with your load development right where you are!

"Doin' right ain't got no end..."

Terrill, The Outlaw Josey Wales

;)

maximus otter

Famous last words.

I continued my load development, but encountered problem after problem. The one I detail above using the 40-grain V-Max proved to be disappointingly inconsistent; besides, 40-grain bullets are illegal for the two small species of invasive deer I stalk near my home. English law requires at least a 50-grain bullet, either JHP or JSP, for muntjac and Chinese water deer.

Back to the drawing board...

To cut a long and expensive story short(er), I tried Vihtavuori N133 and N140. I tried two different types of primers. I tried reloading 40gr. V-Max, 53gr. V-Max, 52gr. Berger HPs and 50gr. (?) Speers. I seated bullets deeper into and farther out of cases. I trimmed. I cleaned. I tightened screws to different torques...

After several months and at least £150 in components, frankly I was more than fed up. I was seriously considering selling or re-barreling the rifle. Then, a very simple idea occurred to me: Try it with the moderator off. The result?

Moderator-on-and-off.jpg

Groups immediately tightened from about 1.02" to 0.4"!

Yesterday (4.11.18) I returned to the range with a box of this load, and settled down to do my best off the concrete bench using a bipod and back bag. The result:

Sako-75-223-target-Barnwell-4-11-18.jpg

Average of all four 3-round groups (including the flier from the cold bore shot in Group 1) was 0.244 MOA. If I cheat and exclude Group 1, the average is 0.19 MOA!

Average muzzle velocity will be in the order of 3,465 fps.

The final recipe is:

Lapua .223 Match brass
0.248" bushing in my Redding Type S full length Match dies
CCI BR-4 primers
25.9 grs Vihtavuori N133 powder
50gr. V-Max seated 20 thou off the lands
COAL 2.280"

I have consigned the errant Wildcat Evo 8 moderator to a mate of mine who has a lathe. He's going to check it for concentricity, then probably ream the holes out to 7mm or even 8mm. I'm happy to lose a couple of dB in noise reduction to regain accuracy.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back