• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Changes in Quality of Sako Actions over Time

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

South Pender

I've wondered what the consensus is (if there is one) regarding the change in quality of the various Sako actions developed over the years. Here I'm referring to the L46 and L57 to the 3-digit L-series, and to the A-, "91", 75, and 85 actions. It seems to me that there is something of a preference on this forum for the L- and A-series actions, but are they really of higher quality than the actions that followed them? By "quality" I mean (a) certainty of function, (b) smoothness of operation, and, in particular, (c) fit and finish.

I'm not thinking here of preferences based on things like 2- vs. 3-lug actions. (I happen to like 3-lug actions, but don't know whether the 75-series Sakos would be considered of higher quality, as defined above, than the actions that preceded and succeeded them.)

So was there a drop-off in quality in going from the L- to the A-series actions to the "91s"? Or from from the "91s" to the 75s, etc.?

With my P94S rimfire project underway, I'm considering a similar centerfire Sako custom project, and your views on this would be helpful.

Last edited:
Hello South Pender,

I remember talking to Stonecreek some years ago about declining quality of modern Sako rifles. Just as a starters, take a look at the quality of the chequering on the dovetails of L46, L57, L461, L579, & L61 - very fine and well engineered. Now look at the A series, 91, 75, & 85 - a lot coarser, and not so well exacuted! Now lets look at the bolt handle design on the 91, 75, & 85 - straight with no gracious cerve and a smaller bolt knob. Remember all the bad publicity regarding Sako 75, & 85 stainless steel barrels splitting in the field! lucky there were no serious injuries. I'm sure there are a lot more negatives and I rest my case.

Blackjack

Hello South Pender,

I remember talking to Stonecreek some years ago about declining quality of modern Sako rifles. Just as a starters, take a look at the quality of the chequering on the dovetails of L46, L57, L461, L579, & L61 - very fine and well engineered. Now look at the A series, 91, 75, & 85 - a lot coarser, and not so well exacuted! Now lets look at the bolt handle design on the 91, 75, & 85 - straight with no gracious cerve and a smaller bolt knob. Remember all the bad publicity regarding Sako 75, & 85 stainless steel barrels splitting in the field! lucky there were no serious injuries. I'm sure there are a lot more negatives and I rest my case.

Blackjack
That's helpful information. Good grief, barrels splitting? Never heard about that. And this was due to poor quality barrels, or was there more involved?

I think people make too much out of this supposed decline in quality of the action. I think every Sako action is an excellent action, from the re-worked Mosins to the modern 85s. I myself prefer and collect rifles with short and medium actions from the 50's and 60's but I can still admire many of the current lightweight 85s (I really do like my Black Bear). A bigger problem for me was the increase in weight and bulk of the overall rifles that occurred sometime between 1970 and 1980, when 6.5 lb. fullstock carbines became 7.5 lb. fullstock carbines, and that was just the ones with the Forester medium length actions. The long action versions, Finnbear, AIII, etc. no matter how well their actions were made or checkered, from their introduction always handled and carried like logs.

Last edited:
I would posit that it's not just Sako but most gun manufacturers seem to have cheapened and automated the manufacturing of their products since the turn of the century. Even though I own a 591 classic, in my opinion it started with the x91 actions and adoption uniform bolt diameter as a cost cutting step. Not to mention the recoil management system.

I think people make too much out of this supposed decline in quality of the action. I think every Sako action is an excellent action, from the re-worked Mosins to the modern 85s. I myself prefer and collect rifles with short and medium actions from the 50's and 60's but I can still admire many of the current lightweight 85s (I really do like my Black Bear). A bigger problem for me was the increase in weight and bulk of the overall rifles that occurred sometime between 1970 and 1980, when 6.5 lb. fullstock carbines became 7.5 lb. fullstock carbines, and that was just the ones with the Forester medium length actions. The long action versions, Finnbear, AIII, etc. no matter how well their actions were made or checkered, from their introduction always handled and carried like logs.
That's an interesting observation and one, I think, that applies more widely, as gowyo notes. It's a trend that we've seen in Anschutz rimfire rifles as well. The earlier 54-action sporters, like the 1420s and 1422s, were substantially lighter than the later 54-action sporters in the 1700 series.

I would posit that it's not just Sako but most gun manufacturers seem to have cheapened and automated the manufacturing of their products since the turn of the century. Even though I own a 591 classic, in my opinion it started with the x91 actions and adoption uniform bolt diameter as a cost cutting step. Not to mention the recoil management system.

The above is so true and so obvious that I thought it went without saying.

A few more points:

- In Sakos defense, their rifles have kept far more quality control than most. I collect vintage Brno .22 rifles from time to time (they are relatively common in Canada) and the decline in quality of the metal fit and finish, is obvious from the model 1, model 5, etc. of the 40's and 50's to the model 2E of the 80's and then the CZ 452 and now the CZ 455 (both of the latter used plastic parts...although I note that the quality of the wood, mostly Turkish walnut, has held steady or actually improved)

- Milsurp collectors generally make a big fuss about "all-matching numbers" rifles, meaning that many of the small parts have all or part of the serial number stamped on them. All this really means is that the factory machinery of the time was not capable of making truly interchangeable parts and therefore hand-fitting was necessary. Modern CNC machined rifle parts don't need to be hand fitted, because they already fit.

However, if you prefer hand-fitted parts, then recognize that the best sporting rifles ever made are now being produced, particularly in the USA, by small custom makers. But you have to pay a lot (a lot) for this. Hand-fitting back at the turn of the 19th/20th centuries was done by highly skilled workers on near starvation wages, particularly in England. Skilled labor used to be cheap and now it isn't.(...and why should it be?) There is no way modern high volume gun factories can afford to pay custom rifle making salaries.

Last edited:
Good points, robinpeck. However, could it perhaps be argued that the modern CNC machined components provide better fit and a better finished product than possible with a reliance on hand shaping and fitting which can be adversely affected by human error?

Good points, robinpeck. However, could it perhaps be argued that the modern CNC machined components provide better fit and a better finished product than possible with a reliance on hand shaping and fitting which can be adversely affected by human error?

Yes, probably, but only with good quality control. Unfortunately, some of the high volume gun manufacturers don't seem to have this.

...........from their introduction always handled and carried like logs.
To me that’s what’s its all about. Pick up a black grip cap Sako from the 1960s and it just feels like a custom rifle someone has put the effort into making finesse where as the later ones feel like a club. I think in terms of quality it’s all there just the finesse Isn’t.

Hey Top Gear,

My L461 .222 Rem. HB Vixen { April 1978 } has all the atributes of any 1960's Sako Rifles! Even though mine is a HB It does not feel like a club!

Blackjack

Good grief, barrels splitting? Never heard about that. And this was due to poor quality barrels, or was there more involved?

Yes, there was a problem with this, but it seems to have been limited to stainless steel barrels on ultralight models. I never heard any conclusive evidence of just what the cause, but it seems to have most likely been a problem with the metallurgy of the barrels.

Yes, there was a problem with this, but it seems to have been limited to stainless steel barrels on ultralight models. I never heard any conclusive evidence of just what the cause, but it seems to have most likely been a problem with the metallurgy of the barrels.
Wow! That's really, really bad.:eek: Sure not what we expect from a Sako rifle (or any rifle, for that matter).

When I first read that, I wondered whether some shooter stupidity was involved, like following up a squib load with another round.

Was any shooter injured from these barrel-splitting incidents?

Last edited:
I remember this...a couple of decades ago I think...but I thought it was only on some Tikka stainless rifles. I had one and had it checked out but was told by the importer that mine was not within the serial number range that had the problem. Possibly the same batch of barrels were on some Sako rifles?

The long action versions, Finnbear, AIII, etc. no matter how well their actions were made or checkered, from their introduction always handled and carried like logs.

I prefer a heavier rifle because they can be shot more accurately, and my hunting style doesn't involve miles of walking. I find the pre-Garcia Finnbears to be svelte compared to those after.

Latest posts

Back