• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L579 244 Deluxe

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

ulrich26

I have A Sako L579 244 Deluxe, and it's factory recoil pad is starting to deteriorate. I have found a reproduction sako recoil pad. Would I be lowering the value of this gun if i had the recoil pad replaced. Also would I be ruining the value of this gun if i had it refinished? the clearcoat is starting to form some faint cracks in it, and it also has a heavy scratch/ light gouge on it.

A replaced pad and refinished stock will appeal to a different set of buyers than an original, but somewhat worn, rifle. Just how worn the rifle finish is would determine whether the rifle is more valuable in its original condition or professionally refinished.

However, if your primary concern is its net market value, then I can almost certainly tell you that if you improve its value at all, you won't improve its value by as much as you spend to refinish it.

But if your primary concern is how it appeals to you, then it is your rifle and you should do with it whatever pleases you the most.

My 12xxx L579 deluxe stock finish has alligatored over the more than 50 years of hunting. I love the way it looks. Bob.

@ulrich26 It sounds like you may be describing crazing in the clear coat. I've seen this happen to 50+ year old Weatherbys as well. I've read that some rotten stone can aid in a refinish but, I've never done it myself! It sounds like you have quite a rifle by the way! 244 deluxe! Any chance you can share some pictures? Interesting floorplate perhaps?

Latest posts

Back