• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Before barrel steel

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Cali

I found some information on another forum regarding bofors steel Sako barrels having a high sulfur content resulting in pitting.
Any thoughts on the subject?

I found some information on another forum regarding bofors steel Sako barrels having a high sulfur content resulting in pitting.
Any thoughts on the subject?
It is true that Bofors Steel is badly subject to pitting -- but only if a black cat crosses your path.

The Bofors mark was dropped due to a copyright dispute. Sako continued to use the same steel in their barrels.

The information I came by was from the Accurate Shooters forum. Much of the discussion on Internet forums is akin to "bar room" talk and should be considered as such which is why I raised the question here, a trusted knowledge base.
The rifle is 49 years old and has passed through many hands before mine. Upon inspection with a bore scope I found many patches of pitting which is a shame since the overall condition is excellent otherwise.
After a thorough cleaning regime with Kroil and JB's accuracy is good, three shots under an inch at 100 yds.
No black cats anywhere to be seen so I have to blame a neglectful owner somewhere in it's past.

You'll often still get good accuracy from a Sako barrel which isn't in the best of condition.

I still have my very first Sako, now over 50 years old (and original to me). It is a .264 Win which must have had several thousand rounds down the barrel -- many of them "primer poppers" from my youthful days of reloading when, if you could still get the bolt open without a hammer, then the load was just fine. The first inch or so of the bore in front of the chamber looks like alligator hide. Make that alligator hide charred in a tire fire. But the first shot from a cold barrel always goes exactly where it is supposed to, and it will shoot one-inch groups all day long.

As a result of years of experience with this rifle I am always more interested in how a barrel shoots than in how it looks.

The general concensus seems to imply that shooting the rifle is the only test that really matters. A bore scope is a nice tool to see how clean you get the bore after cleaning but as we know optics can be misleading. Damn, I wish I never even looked at it.

Latest posts

Back