• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Frankensako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

sakorick

I just picked up a 1967 Bofors marked '06 with a totally destroyed pad for $630....the good news....the blue was rated 95 % and the stock excellent although it looked to have been varnished. Of course that's not a problem for me as I refinish gunstocks plus have a deluxe stock and bottom metal that I picked up a few years ago on Epay. I also have a complete barreled action with a shot out 7 Mag barrel and nice bolt. I figure I can part out all the stuff I don't need and build a Frankensako out of the good stuff. At the end of the day I believe I can come out close to a free gun! More to come as the rifle shipped today.

The '06 arrived today and the franken sako is no longer in play. The rifle is in unbelievable good condition. I might go so far as to say the piece is unfired. The bolt face looks brand new and the muzzle gauges 307.8! The bottom metal is flawless, the barrel has 3 scratches and the bolt still had cosmolene on it. The ramps are perfect. Now for the bad.....The pad has totally disintegrated and the stock has some dings basically all over it. So here is the plan. I am going to refinish the stock which is one of those really dark ones from the mid 60's and the checkering is flawless. I will remove what's left of the pad and install a red or black decelerator. It's going to take me a solid month on the stock so I dropped her in a spare finnbear deluxe stock from the Stoeger era so I can get her broke in. I am probably going to start with the Tubbs final finish bullets as the bore is so tight. First picture is project......last 3 shows the rifle with temporary surrogate stock. Be back in a month or so.

s1.jpg

s2_1.jpg

s3.jpg
s4.jpg

Very nice Rick.Like you say the metalwork looks to be I. Fantastic condition. I am sure you will like that stock into shape.

That surrogate stock is not too shabby either.

Marcus

Rick,

May I suggest you put the rifle on paper first..........before even considering shooting abrasive bullets through the barrel.

A very slight choke, at the muzzle, should be a good indicator of a quality barrel.

Good call Kevin. OK. the testing went great. No need for Tubbs unless it's full of copper....soaking in Wipeout now. The first group was 5 shots and the 2d group 3....had to stop to clean. 100 yards, no wind.... recipe 52 gr RL15 with a 150 gr Sierra pro hunter, Lake City brass. This rifle is going to be a shooter! Next loads 165 gr Noslers followed by 180gr Noslers/Sierra boat tails. Will also try some IMR 4064 loads....what a great way to break in a rifle! It has a one in 9.5 twist.
s5.jpg

s6.jpg

great shooting! great pics and nice countryside. Thanks for sharing your range report !!! I plan to do some shooting this weekend myself, I hope the weather holds. Been mighty wet the last couple of weeks here in central VA.

DeerGoose

I just picked up a 1967 Bofors marked '06 with a totally destroyed pad for $630....the good news....the blue was rated 95 % and the stock excellent although it looked to have been varnished. Of course that's not a problem for me as I refinish gunstocks plus have a deluxe stock and bottom metal that I picked up a few years ago on Epay. I also have a complete barreled action with a shot out 7 Mag barrel and nice bolt. I figure I can part out all the stuff I don't need and build a Frankensako out of the good stuff. At the end of the day I believe I can come out close to a free gun! More to come as the rifle shipped today.

Dear Deergoose, I have to ask, since you are parting out a Sako, would you consider selling me the bolt stop assembly from the parts you have. I have a great Sako AV without the bolt stop assembly. It is the same assembly as used on the L-61R. I am desperate! If this is not the correct place to ask this I am sorry.
Sincerely, "Schoe"

Back