• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Carbonlight

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Graywolf

I'm thinking about picking up a Carbonlight, probably in .243, and wanted to solicit opinions. Unfortunately I haven't and won't have a chance to handle the rifle or see it in person before buying it, but short videos on the web make it look very attractive. Search of the SC site comes up empty. Anyone have one or have opinions on them? I'd be using it as a mountain rifle for mule deer.

I don't have specific experience of the Carbonlights, but do have a couple of Finnlights in 270 Wsm and 260 Rem. With the 270 Wsm I would not want to go any lighter, and not really with the 260 either. The Carbonlight with "S" action (243, 260) at 2.4kg is 400gm (14oz) lighter than the Finnlight's 2.8kg, i.e. approx 14%, which is significant. However I have found the lighter the rifle, the harder it is to control and shoot accurately in the field, and it took me some time to "tame" the Finnlights, particularly the WSM.

As I have mentioned before on this forum, I "tamed" them with Limbsaver (and Kick-Eze) recoil pads, light trigger pulls (set triggers on both), muzzle brakes (even on the 260), action bedding and forend stabilisation (which added stiffness and weight), and most important of all, a reassessment of my shooting technique with emphasis on controlling the forend. With both rifles I am now confident with shots out to 500yds or so.

The .243 (and 260) is a sensible calibre for a lightweight rifle but it is easy to negate the weight benefit of a Carbonlight, or Finnlight for that matter, by fitting an oversize scope or moderator, heavy rings, bipod, fancy sling etc. As a mountain rifle the typical ranges in mountains (at least where I hunt) will be longer (250 to 400yds) than in bush or forest so accuracy is crucial.

Don't let me put you off, especially if you have the cash for the hefty premium of the Carbonlight, but I just wanted to point out that light weight comes at a price (and not just $$$). And that premium might be better spent on a quality rangefinder or a good pair of lightweight binos, both of which are essential for mountain hunting, or a lighter pack, tent or sleeping bag. But if you do go with the Carbonlight try to stretch your budget to get the set trigger option.

I will leave you with a couple of quotes

From my son - "ounces make pounds, and pounds make pain" in reference to packing gear up hills.

And from another forum commenting on the current lightweight rifle fashion "......when you could fairly easy save 100 grams by having a good cr*p before leaving home."

David

SHooting Times (I think that's the magazine??) recently did an article on the Carbonlight.
I have no first hand experience with one, however, if the price is right and it's what I want, I'd certainly buy one and learn to shoot it!

Well I went ahead and placed the order for a .243 Carbonlight. Eurooptic had a pretty good sale on .243 and .22-250 models, really not that much more expensive than the regular price for a Finnlight. I agree about the specialized advantages and disadvantages of an ultralight rifle. I don't want to load it up with super heavy components, but on the other hand it gives you a bit more latitude for a better scope. I plan to put on a pair of Optilock ring mounts (maybe 5 oz?) and a Zeiss 2.5-10 Victory HT (about 18 oz). It's been a long time since I've had a Sako, and I'm looking forward to shooting this one.

Well I went ahead and placed the order for a .243 Carbonligh
Congratulations! Like Greyfox I await your assessment with interest.

...really not that much more expensive than the regular price for a Finnlight
It appears that they cannot have been selling well at the original price (hardly surprising) and are being discounted. Here in NZ a new Finnlight sells for $NZ3,500 and a Carbonlight $NZ5,500 - that's a very expensive stock upgrade.:eek:. However I note that our biggest retailer currently has the 7m-08 on special at NZ5,000 - better but still an expensive stock! Apart from the stock are there any other changes over the Finnlights?

I plan to put on a pair of Optilock ring mounts (maybe 5 oz?) and a Zeiss 2.5-10 Victory HT (about 18 oz)
I think you are on the right track there - Ringmounts are good and solid. For my three Finnlights I set a scope max weight limit of 16oz. My Swarovskis (Z3 4-12x50 BTW) on the 85s come in at 14.5oz and my Zeiss (3.5-10x44 MC) on the 75 at 15.9oz. I am really pleased with the Swarovskis. The Zeiss is almost as good but my old eyes prefer the slightly better glass of the Swaros.

Anyway good luck and please keep us informed - David

PS Remember to check out the vertical alignment of the dovetails just in case your rifle has this problem. See my thread http://sakocollectors.com/forum/thr...unt-dovetails-on-new-sako-85-finnlights.8491/ Unfortunately Photobucket has pulled the plug on all linked photos of their "free" accounts but I will try and replace them when I have a moment as there has been a lot of interest in the thread.

I'm thinking about picking up a Carbonlight, probably in .243, and wanted to solicit opinions. Unfortunately I haven't and won't have a chance to handle the rifle or see it in person before buying it, but short videos on the web make it look very attractive. Search of the SC site comes up empty. Anyone have one or have opinions on them? I'd be using it as a mountain rifle for mule deer.

A friend bought an 85 Carbon Light in 7mm-08 last fall. He shot a five shot group after sighting it in that was 1/2 inch at one hundred yards. That was right from the box with a 4.5-14x44 scope and optilock mounts. More recently he tlkd me that it has maintained its accuracy. He does not hand load but uses one of the newer Hornady factory ammunition. Hope this is of some help.

No one has experience much with them because they are over priced for what they are. I'd buy a 7-08 if they were $1800-$2000 range. But $2700 is out of the question.the sell the op refers to is a good deal and I looked hard at a 243, but I have a finnlight already that shoots ragged hole 5 shot groups at 100 yds. I do look forward to hearing the scoop! It's gonna be really nice!

Well my new .243 Carbonlight came in. It was on sale from Eurooptic for $1800, not cheap but a great deal and I'm really happy with it. The carbon fiber stock is a work of art, very comfortable texture, nice grip, and overall the layup is practically flawless except for a small gap (~1mm) in the tang area, it's not that noticeable. It weighs 5 lb 5 oz. The problem now is finding the right scope. I had planned to use low Optilock ring mounts and a Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50mm scope. When I mounted it the rifle looked great but came in at 6 lb 15 oz, which isn't heavy but as soon as I handled it I realized it needs a lighter scope, probably 3-9 x 36 or 40 mm. I'm also thinking about trying to find some lighter ring mounts. Swaro or Leupold or?

layup is practically flawless except for a small gap (~1mm) in the tang area, it's not that noticeable.

The gap is there for a reason! Even though the carbon fiber stock is stiff as a wedding prick, it still flexes under recoil. If the gap is not there the tang of the receiver will bust a chip out of the stock under recoil! Filling this gap is the most common mistake when bedding a rifle and will result in a broken stock more often than not.

The gap is there for a reason! Even though the carbon fiber stock is stiff as a wedding prick, it still flexes under recoil. If the gap is not there the tang of the receiver will bust a chip out of the stock under recoil! Filling this gap is the most common mistake when bedding a rifle and will result in a broken stock more often than not.

That makes sense. I've never noticed a gap in the standard Tikka synthetic stock T3X, presumably because the fiberglass-polymer stock composition is more resistant to fracturing than carbon fiber.

I did finally replace the scope with a lighter Swaro 3-10x42 and Leopold rings. Total weight is now 6lb 7oz. Will be a great mountain rifle. IMG_20170916_210444.jpg IMG_20170916_174817.jpg . I have to say it was not trivial to find the right powder and I was discouraged by lots of 2-3 moa loads before stumbling on H4895. Target is three rounds at 100 yds.

Last edited:
Great set Up Graywolf, that Swarovski scope, is a great all rounder, and perfect for a liteweight rifle, good luck, n keep us updated on game taken... Jay

Back