• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New Additions

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Paul B.

Hi All - Recently picked up an early Garcia L61R Deluxe in .270 Win as well as a pre-Garcia Bofors L579 Deluxe in .243 Win (has a pretty cool floorplate I think). Looking forward to mounting some optics and seeing what they can do!

20170625_123603.jpg 20170625_123617.jpg 20170625_123955.jpg 20170625_123756.jpg 20170625_123917.jpg

Congratulations Paul. It appears that you captured two very collectible Sakos. Please take good care of those beauties. Sakojim.

That's the "two deer in woods" floorplate on the L579, very nice. There is also an even scarcer "three deer in woods" model that is very similar.

By the way, those are "native" whitetail deer from Finland depicted on the floorplate. In the early 20th Century Finnish expatriates in the Upper Midwest shipped a stock of whitetails to their homeland. The deer flourished there and the whitetail is perhaps the #2 game animal in Finland behind the moose.

Don't forget about the single deer floorplate as well ! "collect them all"......which is what I've been trying to do for the last 30+ years !!

Nice rifles, congrats.
DeerGoose

Wondering out loud, what's considered the rarest floorplate?
It depends on who you ask. If I've seen two of a particular pattern and you've seen only one, then you have to regard it as rarer than I do. I doubt that any of us have seen all of them (in the flesh at least). Every now and then a pattern crops up which almost no one seems to have seen previously. But if a pattern is seen often enough to have acquired a name that Sako enthusiasts recognize ("fishgods", "two deer in woods"), then it's probably not the "rarest" one.

Stonecreek and Paul. Seems as though my feeble mind recollects seeing an as new condition example of a Griz Deluxe pattern on a 26" barreled .264 low serial number L61r in the deep recesses of my safe some time back. Also had a L579 Deluxe in .243 with 3 deer engraving, but I gave it to my daughter years ago. As far as I know it is still in new unfired condition and will be passed on to a grandson for future safe keeping. I sincerely hope that there are more of these fine Sakos being saved for posterity. Sakojim.

Paul. I have a friend that has a twin to the L61r which has the collector coveted Buffalo engraving. I enjoy telling him that my Griz wants to chomp on his Buffalo. Just a little humor between friends. Like all Sako collectors, I would sure love to put his Buffalo in my safe but I am happy that it is in good hands and know that it will be preserved as new. Sakojim.

wow ! Yes, knew about all of the big game L61R plates in Bison/Buffalo, Moosehead and Griz/Bear. As for the rarest, I haven't a clue. What other plates are there ?

Did they ever put the Sakolope on an L461 ?

We've got pics of the different plates here somewhere on this website, so search away ! I've got lots of different ones, but nowhere near all of them. The medium action L57/L579 produced the most varieties.

DeerGoose

Paul and DeerGoose. You did perk up my my curiosity enough to check on that Griz. Found another one or two of interest. Would love to share pictures but am not that sharp on computers and have just had this thing overhauled with all new systems to get rid of the hackers and malware. Will try to send some pictures as soon as I get time. First off, I must downgrade the condition of the .264 deluxe with the Griz floorplate to good. The one as new is a different Deluxe with 24" barrel. Second, I found a set of Sako Collectors Finnwolfs new in plastic with boxes. Third, found one of interest that I had forgotten. A Sako AV Friends of NRA 2001 Gun of the Year edition, #27x of 775. This rifle has the nicest inlaid silver and gold(?) floor engraving of two grizzly's that I have ever seen. Fourth, found a L61r in 7mm that looks to be new with open sights (front hooded, rear ladder and rear detachable peep. This rifle appears to be a European import carry over. Fifth, a L46 Riihimaki Mannlicher in .222. Scary what a fella might find in that darned safe. Sakojim.

@sakojim Sounds like quite the collection! Would love to see pictures when you are able too (especially of that NRA Grizzly floorplate). Very cool!

Hi Paul. Yes it is the same series. It appears to be a very nice rifle. Its a shame that some one had the dovetails drilled and tapped for inferior mounts. Sure did not improve the value or the accuracy. By the way, has any one seen or have an original Sako L61r serial # below 1500 with a 26" barrel and stamped "338 Mag" on top of the barrel? Just wondering. Sakojim.

Back