• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest ...

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

... where it's still raining. Fortunately I grew up here in and around the Olympic National Forest, a rain forest, so it doesn't bother me much. I am not yet a Sako owner. I am, however, interested in becoming one so thought the best way is to hang out a bit on an interest-group site to see what's real. I look forward to browsing through and learning what I can. Thanks all for sharing your thoughts.

Michael

Not mine but a Finnbear L61R in which I'm interested.
FinnbearL61R.jpg

Welcome Mike - from the one picture you show the things that jump out are the stock is an after market and look at the scope bases to see if someone has drilled and tapped holes in the top of the integral bases on the rifle. Also check the barrel to ensure it is original as it should have SAKO and the caliber stamped on the top of it where it meets the receiver in front of the bolt, also should have Made in Finland stamped along the wood on the left side. All of these will affect the value somewhat.
But as we all say the value os an item is what someone is willing to pay for it, so depending on price and what the reason is for purchasing it - the value may be there to you.

Welcome Mike - from the one picture you show the things that jump out are the stock is an after market and look at the scope bases to see if someone has drilled and tapped holes in the top of the integral bases on the rifle. Also check the barrel to ensure it is original as it should have SAKO and the caliber stamped on the top of it where it meets the receiver in front of the bolt, also should have Made in Finland stamped along the wood on the left side. All of these will affect the value somewhat.
But as we all say the value os an item is what someone is willing to pay for it, so depending on price and what the reason is for purchasing it - the value may be there to you.

Thanks for the pointers. The barrel does have 'FINNBEAR Made in Finland' stamped on it as you indicate but as yet I haven't been able to determine caliber. I already load for most L61R factory offerings so it can only add to my die collection if its one I don't yet have. To my mind's eye this is functional art that just happens to be able, in most cases, to put a projectile exactly where I want.

Mike - you are welcome - as I said if it is what you want and the price is suitable to you then by all means purchase it. Strange you don't see the caliber stamped on top of the barrel just below the front ring base. The barrel should definitely have the caliber stamped on it

Mike - you are welcome - as I said if it is what you want and the price is suitable to you then by all means purchase it. Strange you don't see the caliber stamped on top of the barrel just below the front ring base. The barrel should definitely have the caliber stamped on it

It probably does but the available pictures do not show it nor does the accompanying description list it. They do show the model and serial numbers but not the caliber. Strange. I've requested additional information.

I knew that I saw that rifle somewhere in my travels. It is on Proxibid as we speak. One thing about the auctions there you can usually get to speak with someone that is familiar with the piece. Call the house that has it and they are usually very cooperative when it comes to providing details. Careful on the bidding you have to keep in mind the buyers premium which can run as high as 25%. Look before you leap. Don't forget to factor in shipping when bidding. People some times get carried away.

rick

I knew that I saw that rifle somewhere in my travels. It is on Proxibid as we speak. One thing about the auctions there you can usually get to speak with someone that is familiar with the piece. Call the house that has it and they are usually very cooperative when it comes to providing details. Careful on the bidding you have to keep in mind the buyers premium which can run as high as 25%. Look before you leap. Don't forget to factor in shipping when bidding. People some times get carried away.

rick

Good advice, thanks. Yes, I'm very experienced and this is a local company I do business with regularly. So while there is the auction premium to factor in there's no FFL fee or shipping costs. While I'll be competitive I think my chances are less than 50% of coming away a winner. I'm disciplined and only use pre-bids to avoid getting caught up in the action. Plus there are other candidates.

- Michael

Micheal,
Very happy to find another Washingtonin(sp?) on board. My home town is Seattle . Things have changed alot since the 50's.
Nice rig. Keep us posted on the progress. Caliber and serial number?

Micheal,
Very happy to find another Washingtonin(sp?) on board. My home town is Seattle . Things have changed alot since the 50's.
Nice rig. Keep us posted on the progress. Caliber and serial number?

I'm another Washingtonian born in Aberdeen, growing up in the woods a couple miles outside Hoquiam, plying the rivers in a variety of small craft in search of ducks and fish. During duck season I'd motor up to the headwaters easing around corners with one hand on the tiller and a single-barrel Stevens 12-gauge shouldered and ready. Fired one-handed if ducks began to rise. For reasons unknown my father never hunted deer and while I love target shooting with a variety of rifles I never got the bug either.

Then I got an education and wound up in computers and networking. Work, work, work. Retired and now living in south Everett.

I'm still waiting on caliber information. I do know they've had some personnel issues and have been less than responsive as of late. As indicated earlier caliber is really a non-issue for me. Either I already load it or have an opportunity to acquire another set of dies. :) The serial number is 523450.

Attachments

• FinnbearL61R-3.jpg
    FinnbearL61R-3.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back