• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 .222 sporter - what is the verdict fellow Aussies?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

A collection of like-minded shooting enthusiasts from the Ausvarmint forum who get together once or twice a year to check out/try out each other's rifles, with the result basically that ammunition/reloading component companies and gunsmiths/custom rifle builders get a big boost in follow-on business. The host is a member here and might post up a photo or two.

I haven't made it along to one yet, but hopefully this year I can address that.

Marcus

As Branxhunter said we get together and talk,eat and sleep everything shooting.We set up gongs and targets on our private range,Shoot at rabbits and have fun.
Like every get together there are RULES .
So Deersako it is about 45 mins from Canberra and is on the calender for the second weekend of September

Well, well, well. I dropped into the same shop today and this rifle was back on the shelf (it wasn't there 6 weeks ago). Now it's wearing a Leupold 4x12 Vari-X II scope, and has an asking price of $AUD1450. Serial Number was 52577.

I have some clearer photos that I need to upload the Photobucket but will then post here - they do show that someone has previously ground the top of the barrel to enable clearance for a scope (Deersako picked this up, I missed it the first time round). For a collector it would probably be a deal breaker. For someone wanting to hunt and use it it is probably of little consequence. The grinding is actually quite hard to see with the current scope. Otherwise it is in really good condition.

Marcus

As Branxhunter said we get together and talk,eat and sleep everything shooting.We set up gongs and targets on our private range,Shoot at rabbits and have fun.
Like every get together there are RULES .
So Deersako it is about 45 mins from Canberra and is on the calender for the second weekend of September

I've been to one, if I'm around wouldn't mind a return trip.

Well, well, well. I dropped into the same shop today and this rifle was back on the shelf (it wasn't there 6 weeks ago). Now it's wearing a Leupold 4x12 Vari-X II scope, and has an asking price of $AUD1450. Serial Number was 52577.

I have some clearer photos that I need to upload the Photobucket but will then post here - they do show that someone has previously ground the top of the barrel to enable clearance for a scope (Deersako picked this up, I missed it the first time round). For a collector it would probably be a deal breaker. For someone wanting to hunt and use it it is probably of little consequence. The grinding is actually quite hard to see with the current scope. Otherwise it is in really good condition.

Marcus

Looks like it's been sold and returned once again Marcus. I saw it re advertised quite a while ago and sold again.
Trouble was, when buying a rifle, I have a checklist I ask the vendor with regard to condition and any modifications.
That little bit of 'handy work' was not overlooked by the seller, it simply wasn't disclosed, and this became apparent in the subsequent emails.
Yes, the rest of the rifle was in good condition apart from an ordinary bedding job, but that's not the point.
Return postage cost and a messed up PTA (Permit to Aquire) also added to my displeasure.

Looks like it's been sold and returned once again Marcus. I saw it re advertised quite a while ago and sold again.
Trouble was, when buying a rifle, I have a checklist I ask the vendor with regard to condition and any modifications.
That little bit of 'handy work' was not overlooked by the seller, it simply wasn't disclosed, and this became apparent in the subsequent emails.
Yes, the rest of the rifle was in good condition apart from an ordinary bedding job, but that's not the point.
Return postage cost and a messed up PTA (Permit to Aquire) also added to my displeasure.

Either that or put 'out the back' for a while.

Yep, absolutely agree DS that the grinding should have been disclosed - hence why I am more than happy to provide photos and a description here to try and provide people with information so that they can make their own informed assessment.

Marcus

Marcus.
nice rifle, have one just like it, not many around in this ones apparent condition. pity about the barrel & bedding job.
ds is right, poor not to disclose , photos are so easy to do these days there in no excuse.
susanna

It would be great to see some pics of yours Susanna. Does it have the stamp on the RHS of the barrel just in front of the action? I'm to sure what the stamp signifies - maybe some sort of inspection mark?

Marcus

It would be great to see some pics of yours Susanna. Does it have the stamp on the RHS of the barrel just in front of the action? I'm to sure what the stamp signifies - maybe some sort of inspection mark?

Marcus

Marcus. will take a few photos, though have just changed my dt computer from xp to windows 10, it hates me, & me it !
no stamps on the r/h side of the barrel . like your rifle mine does have the hand stamped M after the ser no & sako proof / ins stamps. ser no 524xx
looks like they arrive here in oz in the same box.
mine has factory open sights std front/ ramp rear.
has anybody ever found the meaning of the M stamp, is aust the only country found with it ? even my L57 s/n 54xx 243w .
susanna

Marcus

G'day Marcus, I forgot about the 'extra' stamp that was never disclosed.
C1367 ? Just before the Bofors stamp in the 5th
photo.
So many things got under my skin about
that transaction.

Marcus.
my L46 ser no 524xx no rh side stamp only the M on the left after the serial no. unmolested mint bore rifle.
susanna

Attachments

• IMG_5190.JPG
    IMG_5190.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5186.JPG
    IMG_5186.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5185.JPG
    IMG_5185.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5182.JPG
    IMG_5182.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 21
Marcus.
my L46 ser no 524xx no rh side stamp only the M on the left after the serial no. unmolested mint bore rifle.
susanna

What a beauty! Some nice timber there. Interesting that it has the ladder rear sight and front sight whereas the one I posted photos of had a clean barrel.

Marcus

Latest posts

Back