• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

My 2nd Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Paul B.

Hi All,

Recently picked up my 2nd Sako - a L579 Forester Deluxe in .308 Win. It has the "Bofors Steel" stamp and interestingly enough, no importer markings on the underside of the barrel just in front of the forearm. Perhaps it's a European purchase that found it's way to the U.S.? It has some minor bluing loss on the bolt shroud and 1 scratch on the buttstock. Other than that, I think it's in phenomenal shape! Can't wait to shoot it! :)

20170419_220505.jpg 20170419_220531.jpg 20170419_220548.jpg 20170419_220608.jpg 20170419_220625.jpg 20170419_220705.jpg 20170419_220818.jpg

Thanks!
- Paul B.

Congratulations on acquiring a fine rifle!

Very few Sakos with Bofors marked barrels will have an importer's stamp on the underside of the barrel. Importer identification was not required until the 1968 GCA went into effect, which was just about the same time that Sako dropped the Bofors mark. So it is no surprise that it has no importer's mark.

However, if you're curious about where and when it was shipped from Sako you can use the Level 2 factory records service (click "Factory Records Service" at the top of this page or go to http://sakocollectors.tictail.com/

Didn't know you could still buy Leupolds in gloss, but I agree that the gloss finish goes best with the bright metal of the Deluxes.

Thanks Stonecreek. The VX-2 in 3-9x40mm is cataloged in gloss. Additionally, any model VX-3i can be ordered in gloss through their custom shop (not a bad deal as I recently purchased a custom gloss VX-3i in 4.5-14x40mm for a Browning BAR Mk II Safari in 338 WM which looks great!) :) The only other scope manufacturer offering new products in gloss is Leica (which is a whole other price tier $$$).

Latest posts

Back