• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

looking for factory ammo recommendation for Sako 85 M finnlight 30.06

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

The Model 85 is notorious for having the ejected casings hit the scope or scope turrets. Most end up falling back into the action & not ejecting clear so another round can't be chambered, so consider yourself lucky that they actually clear the action. There is a post here that details a possible fix which involves machining the extractor to more tightly grip the rim so that the ejector can then clear it from the action. Unfortunately Beretta has not dealt with this OBVIOUS design flaw & 85 owners are stuck with this problem. Another example of why Beretta's purchase of Sako has lead to a decline in the product. My advice, if you don't want to have ejection problems or scope damage, is to buy a L or A Series Sako from the 60's to the 90's & sell your 85. Anything prior to Beretta is a better Sako no matter what the condition. Just my two cents!

My 85 model stainless synthetic in 300 wsm and my 85 kodiak in 375 both eject into the scope, I,m running 30 mm tube ziess duralight scopes on both of them. Couple of things I,Ve read make it sound like the larger scope tube size doesn't help. Kicking myself because I almost got Swarovski scopes in 25 mm tube.

I don't think 1 inch tube diameter will help either .the way the shells eject , even the highest mount will not help it.
My gun has good ejection but it scratches the scope.
I don't mind scratching my gun in the field(that's why I bought synthetic stock) but it bothers me that a $1 shell is scratching a $3000 scope every time.

I don't think 1 inch tube diameter will help either .the way the shells eject , even the highest mount will not help it.
My gun has good ejection but it scratches the scope.
I don't mind scratching my gun in the field(that's why I bought synthetic stock) but it bothers me that a $1 shell is scratching a $3000 scope every time.
I,m hearing you there, try and eject slow and my 300 just drops the shells back in the breach. My l461 is around fifty years old and no problems. But by a new sako and have dramas

So gentlemen, here is the result after cleaning my rifle thoroughly with regular cleaner and copper solvent.
1. 3 shot group of 0.75" with Sako superhammerhead 180 gr
2. 3 shot group of 1.5" with Sako superhammerhead 180 gr
3. 3 shot group of 1.5" with sako superhammerhead 150 gr but using zero set for 180 gr.

I am happy with the groups and I think with practice they might get better.

My complaint is now that even after using medium rings for 42mm scope , the spent shells hit the scope and scratching the scope!! Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Jaymann, Any better success with different ammo for your Finnlight? I too, have the 30.06. (And the same thing happens with my scope, I just eject it carefully now.) You can buy vinyl, waterproof tape to protect the bottom of your scope if you need. I've wrapped my gun and scope completely with Gunskins to give me a bit more silouhette breakup while in the woods.

Have a 85 Series in 222. Have had no issues at all regarding ejecting the fired cases. I'm also running a VX3 in the 30mm Tube. As for using factory ammo , have a look at the Remington Premier accuTip. This ammo really suited my rifle , deadly out in the field and super accurate at the range. Bore seemed to stay a lot cleaner with this ammo , would have liked to find out what blend /type of powder that Remington used. Best thing was that i didn't have to re-zero rifle when you use two different loads.

Last edited:
J i have the same rifle and I had similar issues with break in accuracy. I am going to try a thorough cleaning and retighten all the scope mount screws. I'm hoping that the accuracy improves, like you said I can live with the 1.5 inch groups . I am curious if my scope it getting dings/scratches from the extraction, i will check tonight. i see it's been quite awhile since you posted, has anything improved Is there anything you can add?

Back