• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

H&R L461 .222

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello,
Thanks for the add! I just purchased a mint condition H&R L461 in .222 caliber with a 6× weaver scope. The gentleman said he purchased it back in 73 or 75 and only used it a couple times. Killed a turkey and a couple groundhogs in Cooks Forest, PA. Over 30 years ago. Been sitting in his gun cabinet ever since. I don't know much about these rifles, but I know I got a hell of a deal considering its condition. Was gonna buy a new Tikka T3 in .222 but figured saving $260 on this was a win win considering I have a 6 month old little whippersnapper. Opinions on this gun or any information about this gun would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Len

Welcome, Leonard!

There were two different versions of this gun marketed by H&R. There were 1000 manufactured totally by Sako "lock, stock, & barrel" which were all in .222 and were virtually identical to the contemporaneous Sako Vixen other than bearing H&R markings and having a round receiver with no dovetails. The ones I've seen also had slightly different checkering and the stocks all seemed to all come from the same lot of wood. The color was a tad lighter and not as red as on the contemporaneous Vixens. These one thousand H&R's are excellent rifles and should perform exactly as a Vixen from the same era. They had 23.6" barrels.

The other version of the H&R on the Sako L461 action was styled like the O'brien rifles which H&R bought out. They had ultra lightweight barrels of only 20 inches length. They came in .17 Remington, .17/.223, .222, and .223. Some of the barrels came from Sako and others were made by H&R or they sourced them from other suppliers. This version is more sought-after because of its diminutive size and very light weight.

However, either version is an excellent rifle and well worth keeping, and a much better bargain than a new Tikka.

Welcome, Leonard!

There were two different versions of this gun marketed by H&R. There were 1000 manufactured totally by Sako "lock, stock, & barrel" which were all in .222 and were virtually identical to the contemporaneous Sako Vixen other than bearing H&R markings and having a round receiver with no dovetails. The ones I've seen also had slightly different checkering and the stocks all seemed to all come from the same lot of wood. The color was a tad lighter and not as red as on the contemporaneous Vixens. These one thousand H&R's are excellent rifles and should perform exactly as a Vixen from the same era. They had 23.6" barrels.

The other version of the H&R on the Sako L461 action was styled like the O'brien rifles which H&R bought out. They had ultra lightweight barrels of only 20 inches length. They came in .17 Remington, .17/.223, .222, and .223. Some of the barrels came from Sako and others were made by H&R or they sourced them from other suppliers. This version is more sought-after because of its diminutive size and very light weight.

However, either version is an excellent rifle and well worth keeping, and a much better bargain than a new Tikka.
That is great news. It sounds like the $400 I paid was money well spent! I couldn't believe the condition it was in for its age. It's like a brand new rifle. I will post some pics as soon as I get home. I can't wait to try it out on some yotes!

Yes, it is one of the 1,000 that are very similar to the contemporaneous Vixens. You did a lot better than just "good" on the price. Looks in mint condition.

One of the unexplained features of this model is that you will find two tapped holes in the RH side of the rear receiver ring just above the wood line. They would appear to be holes intended for mounting a receiver sight, but I've never seen a receiver sight made for them, and the wood would have to be relieved in order to mount anything with the holes. You won't find these holes on a regular Sako. I think you can just make them out in the first photo of your rifle.

That looks like one of the last of the El Paso Weaver K6's mounted on it. These were tough scopes with very good adjustments and pretty decent optics.

It is one nice, light, well balanced, solid piece of equipment that's for damn sure. As soon as I picked it up to my shoulder my conscience said get out that cash asap lol. Probably could have got it for $350 but didn't have the heart to do it to the guy. There is nothing wrong with the 6x weaver scope but I took it off to put on a 30-30 for my son when he gets older. Replaced it with, I hate to say it, Tasco 6x24x42 varmit scope with mill dot cross hairs. It was between that or a low level Nikon prostaff 3x9x40 bdc and an old bushnell banner with similar parallax adjustment like the Tasco from an old 308 remington 788. I've heard a lot of good about the Tasco varmit scope so figured I'd give it a run with 50 grain hornady Superformance pills to take turkey, Fox, yotes, and bobcats. Hell I may even crack a couple head shots on big fox squirrels. Just out of curiosity, how much do you think this rifle is worth? I almost don't wanna take it out with fears off scratching it up, but I buy guns to take game not prance around like some poser from a catalogue. Thanks for the information!

Last edited:
I just seen one selling on Ebay for $1095 starting bid. Wow you were not kidding! Thanks again for the info! It's gonna feel like a sin taking this gun out hunting knowing there were only a 1000 made and probably less left in the world.

That one has been for sale for several weeks without a buyer so you can't really depend on "asking" prices on Gunbroker as a reliable barometer. However, your Ultrawildcat is worth way more than you paid any way you cut it.

That one has been for sale for several weeks without a buyer so you can't really depend on "asking" prices on Gunbroker as a reliable barometer. However, your Ultrawildcat is worth way more than you paid any way you cut it.

Stonecreek,
I really appreciate all the facts you have shared. And I hate to be a pain in the duppa but if you were to put a ballpark value on this rifle of mine, where would you guess it to be? I'm contemplating taking the original stock off to preserve it in my safe and putting on a synthetic or old used one so I can use this gun as I originally anticipated without the worry of beating up a rare weapon. I'm probably just thinking into this way to much lol.

[QUOTE I'm probably just thinking into this way to much lol.[/QUOTE]
Leonard, I can appreciate your enthusiasm about your newly acquired rifle. It is a very nice piece, but not so much that you should enshrine it as if is was worth a fortune. Your rifle is worth "around" a $1000 depending on the buyer. Some may not give that much, but an avid H&R collector may give more if it fills a "collection" niche. The market for it is small to begin with. Bottom line is, no matter what it is worth, it's not going to make a difference in your lifestyle or retirement. So, why deny yourself the privilege of using such a fine rifle doing what you enjoy doing. If it gets a character nick or scratch, it will have little affect on it's market value anyway. It was built to use & enjoy. Take reasonable care with it when in the field & go have fun!! Then pass it on to someone else who will appreciate it. Why go hunting with an "ugly" gun when you can use that "Ultrawildcat"?

[QUOTE I'm probably just thinking into this way to much lol.
Leonard, I can appreciate your enthusiasm about your newly acquired rifle. It is a very nice piece, but not so much that you should enshrine it as if is was worth a fortune. Your rifle is worth "around" a $1000 depending on the buyer. some may not give that much, but an avid H&R collector may give more if it fills a "collection" niche. The market for it is small to begin with. Bottom line is, no matter what it is worth, it's not going to make a difference in your lifestyle or retirement. So, why deny yourself the privilege of using such a fine rifle doing what you enjoy doing. If it gets a character nick or scratch, it will have little affect on it's market value anyway. It was built to use & enjoy. Take reasonable care with it when in the field & go have fun!! Then pass it on to someone else who will appreciate it. Why go hunting with an "ugly" gun when you can use that "Ultrawildcat"?[/QUOTE]

Right on! I was just figuring it would be a sin to put wear n tear on a rare rifle that from what I understand is one of only a 1000 produced with the line marking in the stock and the set screws in the reclever from 1973. Your right, I will use it as intended but with extreme care. Thanks for the feedback!

I have your rifle's twin brother, Leonard. I'll have to dig it out and snap some pics. I agree with the guesstimate on your rifle's value. You got a real deal, the rifle is a real nice and accurate piece, so go and enjoy it !! Mine doesn't get much use, but that's my choice. But it does shoot very well and just as good as some of my Sakos. But when I really want surgical accuracy out of a .222, you can't beat the way the L46's puts rounds down the barrel. Just my opinion. Congrats on your find and thanks for sharing.

DeerGoose

I have your rifle's twin brother, Leonard. I'll have to dig it out and snap some pics. I agree with the guesstimate on your rifle's value. You got a real deal, the rifle is a real nice and accurate piece, so go and enjoy it !! Mine doesn't get much use, but that's my choice. But it does shoot very well and just as good as some of my Sakos. But when I really want surgical accuracy out of a .222, you can't beat the way the L46's puts rounds down the barrel. Just my opinion. Congrats on your find and thanks for sharing.

DeerGoose

Thanks for the info, I came to the conclusion that I'm just gonna use it but be real gentle on it. Found an old leather gun sling that has a beautiful leather inlay of a coyote on it that I brought back to life with neatsfoot oil that will complete this little gem. I will keep you guys posted on the performance of this 222 when I get a chance to shoother it. Considering hornady 50 vmax for yotes, Turkey, and bobcat.

Paulson and Deergoose said it all. Even though there were just a thousand of these made, the H&R collector interest is more in the short-barreled Ultrawildcat. As with any nice possession, treat it gently but use it for what it was made for.

Is there a way to distinguish between the Shilen and the Ackley barrels on the O'Brien or H & R rifles ?

Is there a way to distinguish between the Shilen and the Ackley barrels on the O'Brien or H & R rifles ?
The H&R that is the subject of this thread was built completely by Sako in Finland with a Sako barrel.

The H&R L461's which followed the O'Brien pattern with 20" ultralight barrels had some of their barrels made by Sako and others from other vendors. I think Keving has the best handle on which are which, so maybe he'll chime in here.

Here's my H&R Ultra Wildcat in 'triple deuce'. I've got the same Weaver scope mount setup as Leonard, but with a Redfield 4x-12x scope. Mine is a little later, with serial # in the 124,xxx range. Spring shooting season is here in VA and the .222s are due for a tune-up. I plan to keep this one in the staging rack, for some range work in the coming weekends and perhaps some critter shooting. We've had a mild winter, and the dirt pigs are out already (I haven't shot any yet, but have seen a few smashed dead on the road). Enjoy the pics, and everyone have a good week !!

DeerGoose

Attachments

• IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    646.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1515.JPG
    IMG_1515.JPG
    361.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1516.JPG
    IMG_1516.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1517.JPG
    IMG_1517.JPG
    668.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    413.8 KB · Views: 24
Well I took off the old weaver 6x and replaced it with a high power Tasco varmit military dot scope. Ran half a box of Hornady sst Superformance with incredible results. This gun is an absolute tack driver. I'm talking like 1/4" groups at a 100yrds. I was literally overlapping holes with this bad boy! Hands down my most accurate rifle, followed by an old Remington 788 in .308 that I shoot Winchester 150gr Deer Season xp and my ole faithful Remington 700 mountain rifle in .270, a true deer Hammer with 150 sp core loc! The yotes and turkey are in trouble this fall!!!

Back