• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

new PA member

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

PAGrsHtr

Just want to say, "Hi" from PA. I have not ever owned a Sako, but have an interest in learning more about them as I have admired the older ones I have seen. I do have a little experience with classic Tikka's and hope to make a purchase on a classic Sako in the near future.

Welcome PAGrsHtr - good to have another PA member onboard - you came to the right place to find information on SAKOs there is a wealth of knowledge within the brains of the members and also with the forum subjects

marlin92 and Rufus,
Thank you for the welcome and the kind words. Do either of you know if the small caliber L461's were ever made in a left-hand action?

I do not believe they were offered in a left handed configuration. I believe the 591 was and came in calibers .22-250, .243 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, .308 Win

Welcome! I'm relatively new too. I just picked up L61R Finnbear in 30-06. I really like it. The machining and quality is just amazing. Good luck with your Sako hunt.

Sorry for the delay in posting. Thank you Woodsman. Glad you are enjoying your "new" Sako. I was at a gunshop a few weeks ago that I try to visit when I'm in that area. They had an L61 Deluxe in 270 that looked nice for $1,000; but not what I want. I was at an auction the end of last month and bid on a very nice H&R 222 L461 with a period Leupold 2-7x . It went for $ 1,300 which I felt was a little high as l'm looking for a used, but not abused shooter.

Finally broke the ice a few weeks ago and purchased a well used Forester in .308 Win. that has some issues, but I am hopeful will clean up as a shooter. Still looking for an L461 in .222 Rem or H&R clone. Kind of have my feelers out for a Deluxe as they are truly dandy.

Still looking for an L461 in .222 Rem or H&R clone.
I've always had some fascination for "proprietary" Sakos -- those rifles with Sako actions sold under some other brand name. Most were stocked and barreled in the U.S. or other places by contractors. But there were a few, like one version of the H&R, which were made completely -- lock, stock, and barrel -- by Sako in Finland. If you can find an H&R .222 with a 24-inch barrel you'll find that it really is a Sako through an through. 1,000 of these units were made and shipped to H&R for distribution. They have a round top (no scope dovetails) and two tapped holes in the RH side of the rear receiver ring as if for a screw-on aperture sight.

These are not to be confused with the H&R Model 317 (although both are marked "Ultra Wildcat". The 317 had a 20" super light barrel and was stocked by H&R in the U.S. Some of the 317's had Sako-produced barrels and some did not.

Thank you kindly for the information stonecreek. Are there any good reference books on Sako/proprietary versions that I should be on the lookout for? I would also be interested in anything on pre-Beretta Tikkas as well. So far I keep my eyes open for vintage H&R catalogs (only have one so far) and Ithaca (for Tikka) which seem to be a little more common. Also, records on number of different models/variants built and to which countries they were shipped. Hope you're having a blessed day!

Are there any good reference books on Sako/proprietary versions that I should be on the lookout for? I would also be interested in anything on pre-Beretta Tikkas as well
No one has ever written anything that I'm aware of on the proprietary Sakos. The best source of information is right here on this forum. To the best of my recollection rifles on Sako actions were sold under the following brands:

Anschutz (actions only, Germany)
Browning (barreled actions, Belgium)
Beretta (actions only, prior to its ownership of Sako, Italy)
H&R (completed rifles, actions, and barreled actions)
Montgomery Ward (actions only)
Sears Roebuck (actions only)
Colt (completed rifles and actions only)
North America Arms (actions only, Canada)
Imperial Magnum (actions only, Canada and U.S.)
Magnum Research (actions only)
Holland & Holland (completed rifles, Britain)
O'brien (actions only)
Winslow (actions only)

In addition, AB Calic (Sweden), GO Wholesale (Montana?), Gander Mountain (U.S.), Cabela's (U.S.), D.W. Custer (Australia) and National Rifle Association (U.S.) all had special models made exclusively for them. I think all of these were branded "Sako", but had additional special markings.

This may not be a complete list, so perhaps someone will fill in anything I've missed.

There has been a lot of confusion about Tikkas ever since Beretta bought both it and Sako, then consolidated the manufacturing all in Riihimaki. Tikka was a completely independent gun manufacturer in Finland for many years. It's first distribution in the U.S. was handled by Ithaca, whose brand was on the Tikka rifles it sold. Tikkas were later sold under their own name using an independent U.S. distributor. Eventually, Beretta bought Tikka and consolidated it with Sako. So, early Tikkas like you're interested in -- which are excellent rifles -- aren't in any way (other than country of origin) connected to Sako. It is true, however, that Sako and Tikka collaborated on a rifle design in the late 1970's or early 1980's which was briefly produced as the Sako L581, and otherwise produced as the Tikka 595(? not sure of number). Anyway, Tikkas are very good rifles with a reputation for accuracy; they're usually just a little short of Sako in fit and finish.

Hi Stone

"No one has ever written anything that I'm aware of on the proprietary Sakos. The best source of information is right here on this forum. To the best of my recollection rifles on Sako actions were sold under the following brands:"

You may have forgotten about the many threads I have posted on the H&R Ultra Wildcats rifles, O'Brien Rifles and the numerous threads I have posted on all of the Sako L46 and L461 variants that I have come across and added to my collection. Here is the biggie.....

A Brief History of H&R Ultra Wildcats and the Sako L461 Action

There are at least 25 other threads I have posted on all of the L46 and L461 variants I have come across over the years. Really too many to post but if you search you will find them. I hope this helps....

rick

You may have forgotten about the many threads I have posted on the H&R Ultra Wildcats rifles, O'Brien Rifles and the numerous threads I have posted on all of the Sako L46 and L461 variants that I have come across
Not at all! Like I said, "The best source of information is right here on this forum." That includes your extensive posts as well the many other threads you reference.

There simply haven't been any books published on the subject of proprietary Sakos, which is what PAGrsHtr asked about. So, why don't you write one?

PAGrsHtr: There is a thread here from a few years ago that discussed the "proprietary" Sakos & had a pretty comprehensive list. If you search the forum section titled "Other firearms built on Sako actions" you could find it & other similar threads. Ricksengine has posted many threads that cover the H&R Ultra wildcats that you can find by searching by his member name, as well.I have a J.C. Higgins marketed by Sears in the late 50's built on a L46 action & a Colt "Coltsman" built on a L57 action for Colt by High Standard from the same time period.

You can also find threads that I posted on the O'Brien L461 rifles, the Ackley/O'Brien rifles built on the L461, A&M rifles, Hultgren rifles, Morrison rifles, Weaver rifles and just plain old Sako L46 and L461 rifles.

Question is, if I wrote a book who would publish it?

rick

Latest posts

Back