• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

22-250 Varmint, 75 or 85

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi David,

Thanks for your comments, not sure which way I will go yet. I was very happy with my 85 varmint ( should never have sold it ) so may go full circle and end up where I began!

Mate the 85 is only half the rifle of the 75, I have a friend who owns both, and hes selling his 85 because he reckons its "pretty tacky" compared to the 75.
Everything on the 85 is smaller and slimmer compared to the 75, its like they were trying to cut costs a bit with the 85.

But at the end of the day, its your choice!

Most here are more oriented to the older L & A series Sakos, so hopefully someone with 75 & 85 knowledge & interest will chime in. About all I know is that the 85 has had some issues with ejection. Empty cases hitting the scope turrets & falling back in the action & most of the guys having this problem are "not happy campers" as Beretta has not been helpful. I have not heard of any issues with the 75.
I have the kodiak in 375 h+h, the emptys hit the scope on my rifle, it's annoying. It has a ziess duralight 2-8x42 on it, the ziess is a 30 mm tube and I've heard it said as an excuse that a combination of the larger body scope and low rings causes the ejection issues. Never owned a 75 model so I can't comment, but other than the ejection issue I have no other complaints, the kodiak handles beautifully as does my 85 stainless/synthetic in 300 wsm

Well, I picked up an excellent condition 75 today. I will post some pics when it arrives. Thanks everyone for their comments.

Hi giys
A little late to this party,i have a sako 75 stainless laminated varmint in 22-250 and also owned a sako 85 in 204,with the 75 you have loads of room in the mag to seat bullets out closer to rifleing,my 85 had a short mag ,so your stuck with factory length bullets,with no room to spare to find the sweet spot if you home load,
Same goes for my 75 ss in 300 win mag,loads of room to reach out and find the sweetspot near the rifli g
Rgds steve

Same goes for my 75 ss in 300 win mag,loads of room to reach out and find the sweetspot near the rifli g
Not the same, though, for my 270WSM Finnlights, one 75 the other 85.

Both magazines are the same length (75mm) but the throat of the 75 is so long that it is not possible to seat a bullet anywhere near the lands. For example if I load 130gr SSTs I can seat them so that they touch the lands of the 85 if I desire, but the closest I can seat them in the 75 is 3.3mm off lands and still maintain 6.5mm contact length in the case.

And I have found seating "sweet spots" don't have to be near the lands, though they often are. There is one for the 75 with 13ogr SSTs at 4.3mm off lands (LOA 74.2mm) which fits the magazine nicely.

Just goes to show nothing is for certain when reloading. - David

Back