• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New Member with Sako M591

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello all, I am a new member, retired USArmy guy, 32 years of service. I am desperately trying to find a recoil block/lug for this Left handed Sako M591 chambered in .308. The rifle came to me a few years ago as a gift from a buddy who tragically passed away. From what I can tell from the paperwork this was a "project gun" for him, he never finished it and it appears to have never been fired, just stored. The serial number suggests to me he bought it in 96 or 97 towards the end of production. The barrel is not original, he replaced it with a Douglas air guaged barrel at some point, the original barrel is nowhere to be found. I also stored it for awhile and only recently mounted my scope and took it to the range. On my first range day the stock developed a small crack directly behind the tang. I had it repaired. In my youthful enthusiasm I took it back to the range and it cracked again, this time worse than before......only then did I take it apart and pour over the manual and discover that the drop-in recoil block was missing I am sick to my stomach because the weapon has sentimental value to me and I SHOULD have known better. I have scoured online (actually reached the end of the internet last night around 3am, it's desolate out there) and can't find one anywhere.....except MGW who shows they did carry them but are "out of stock" with no idea if or when they will have them again. Prior to cracking, the weapon shot like a dream, sub 1/4 inch three round groupsS at 100 yds and consistantly on a 9 inch steel plate at 200 and 300 yards. I am shooting Hornandy 168 gr BTHP Match commercial ammo and plan to use the weapon as my primary deer rifle.....PLEASE anyone who has or knows where I can get a recoil block for this weapon reach out and let me know......I really want to make this gun "right" again in honor of my buddy.
Thank you all in advance for any help!

I eventually found a replacement factory recoil lug. The entire process was frustrating. I contacted Sako in Finland who confirmed they have them, PLENTY of them but they unfortunately can't sell directly to a consumer, they would have to sell to either MGW or Beretta USA and niether of thos companies appeared interested in placing an order to get them on the shelf. I eventually found one at a custom gun shop in Britain called Brock and Norris.....not sure if they would have anymore on the shelf or available. My local gunsmith assured me that any good gunsmith could machine one by simply getting the measurements for it off the stock....thankfully I didn't have to go that route....Beretta USA appears to now own the rights to Sako in the US and they are less than helpful when you contact them with any request for assistance for a Sako...ESPECIALLY for older models no longer being manufactured. Once I secured the replacement recoil lug my gunsmith graciously glass bedded it with a "release agent" to facilitate removal if I ever decide to change to a different stock. My advice is to scour european boards or to take the rifle to a quality gunsmith/machine shop and have them get the measurements to machine one off the stock.

Hello all, I am a new member, retired USArmy guy, 32 years of service. I am desperately trying to find a recoil block/lug for this Left handed Sako M591 chambered in .308. The rifle came to me a few years ago as a gift from a buddy who tragically passed away. From what I can tell from the paperwork this was a "project gun" for him, he never finished it and it appears to have never been fired, just stored. The serial number suggests to me he bought it in 96 or 97 towards the end of production. The barrel is not original, he replaced it with a Douglas air guaged barrel at some point, the original barrel is nowhere to be found. I also stored it for awhile and only recently mounted my scope and took it to the range. On my first range day the stock developed a small crack directly behind the tang. I had it repaired. In my youthful enthusiasm I took it back to the range and it cracked again, this time worse than before......only then did I take it apart and pour over the manual and discover that the drop-in recoil block was missing I am sick to my stomach because the weapon has sentimental value to me and I SHOULD have known better. I have scoured online (actually reached the end of the internet last night around 3am, it's desolate out there) and can't find one anywhere.....except MGW who shows they did carry them but are "out of stock" with no idea if or when they will have them again. Prior to cracking, the weapon shot like a dream, sub 1/4 inch three round groupsS at 100 yds and consistantly on a 9 inch steel plate at 200 and 300 yards. I am shooting Hornandy 168 gr BTHP Match commercial ammo and plan to use the weapon as my primary deer rifle.....PLEASE anyone who has or knows where I can get a recoil block for this weapon reach out and let me know......I really want to make this gun "right" again in honor of my buddy.
Thank you all in advance for any help!

Back