• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New Member in Colorado

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Bravo71

Hello Everyone,

Long time fan of the Famous Fins! I will share my experiences with them and a few gems as time permits.
Hard to pick a favorite for me. Obviously the trg-22 is boring because it is so accurate. I hunt with a .338 synthetic 75 and just found a .338 EURO that is exquisite. Just shot it for the first time a week ago and it is a tack driver.
My crown jewel is probably an early A series .22-250 varmint with the benchrest trigger (two holes in the trigger guard).
My only regret is that I got talked out of a factory .280 rem.
See ya around,
Bravo71

Last edited:
Yep. The only Sako I have ever regretted selling. I have sold a bunch over the years but usuall to fund another more collectable Sako. I really had no idea how limited they were.

Hello I'm new to this an I'm getting ready to perches a sako 280 what are the value of the gun I can't find information on them

Hello,
Bravo71, I believe Stonecreek is referring to an odd run of .280 Sako Hunter model's with SN's 00001-00500. The Sako website has a list of "older models" Which shows this run was between Apr 12, 88 and May 26, 88. While one of these would be very sought after, several Sako models were chambered for the .280 through the late 80's & 90's to include the model 75 and 85's into the 2000's. Carl.

Also, the .280 Rem. had kind of a "cult" following in the 1980's, Which I was a cool-aide drinking member of. I became bored with my .270 M-70 Winchester, Ruger M77 .30-06 and Whitworth 7mm Mag., so, I split them down the middle and purchased a Rem. 700 BDL .280. Great rifle and caliber, but I achieved very little difference against the .270 and .30-06 with hand-loads. Bullet selection was better with the .30-06, So I sold the .270, .280 and 7 Mag, and bought a Sako AV Mannlicher .30-06. With hand-loads, arguably the most accurate rifle I ever hunted with, for Antelope, Deer, elk and Bear. My greatest regret for a sale was a Mannlicher-Schoenhauer Model 1956 MC Carbine (Full stock) in .257 Roberts. Beautiful rifle, tack driver and smoothest action by far I have ever cycled. If there was another rifle I would collect and have a passion for besides Sako, it would be the Mannlicher-Schoenhauer. Carl

Last edited:
I believe Stonecreek is referring to an odd run of .280 Sako Hunter model's with SN's 00001-00500.
It is true that the run of 500 rifles in .280 made for G-O Wholesale do have some collector interest and thus bring a bit more than similar rifles of that era. Not only were they a limited edition, but they also had 24.4" barrels, whereas all of the subsequent Sako .280's that I've seen have had 22-ish" barrels.

However, .280 Sakos of any configuration are somewhat scarcer than most other calibers, so they tend to bring a bit of a premium. Condition being the same, I'd say that a .280 will typically bring about 15% more than a .30-06 or 7mm Rem -- but like all prices, that seems to vary unpredictably with the phase of the moon and barometric pressure.

Back