• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New Member From Northern California

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Good evening! Just wanted to introduce myself. I enjoy shooting and appreciate the history of firearms. I also hunt a bit. When I was a teenager, my Dad got the old yellow, black and red Herter's catalogs. I would read them and occasionally buy a duck call or pancake batter kit from it. But, I always wanted to buy a Sako Finnbear from them. Never could afford it. But I finally bought my Finnbear 30-06 from a local gun store. It is pretty old, having only a three-digit serial number. But what a honey! I love it. My other Sako is a '41 m/39 Finnish Mosin. It has honest wear and remains very accurate with a sweet trigger. I look forward to lurking in the corner, learning from you all and contributing when appropriate. Cheers!

Welcome! I also had to wait a long time to get my first Sako.

I did visit the old Herters store in Waseca back in the '70's. Crazy place. Likewise, I only had a precious few bucks to spend. Plenty of out and out junk there, too. I came back with a cheap fishing rod.

The lion's share of my meager teenage wages from summer jobs went in the mail to Herter's in exchange for dies ($4.95), brass cases ($2.00 per box for magnums), and even a close-out on an XK-3 German-made barreled action in .257 Roberts ($45.00). That all sounds cheap now, however when you run those prices through an inflation calculator and factor for wages you find that nothing was cheap back then. But just reading the catalog was a hoot.

Back in the '70's, I remember a remark made about Herters by a millwright I worked with at a steel foundry. He said that if Herters removed all the "greatest ever made with finest imported materials" language they could cut the catalog down to comic book size.

Hi and welcome. Kindly post some pics of your Sako's we do encourage all newbies to do so because we enjoy seeing the great Sako rifles that folks like yourself have in their collections.

Since Herters was brought up in this thread I thought that I would mention that I went to a gun show in Florida over the weekend and in one of the racks was a Herters rifle built on a Sako action. I can't remember what caliber the old girl was chambered in but it was really great seeing something like that in the flesh. I still have my old Black and Yellow catalog. I still can't believe that Herters offered as much stuff as they did. Nothing today even compares to them.

rick

Hello Rick,

I have many Parker/Hale catalogues from the 1950's 60's 70's & 80's. The 1950's are the best ones, with fantastic drawings of every thing for sale, plus a price list including purchase tax. The paper quality is suberb with ring binding. My favorite P/H catalogue is 1950.

Blackjack

Back