• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

SAKO - stainless or not

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

guerero

hello everyone!

have you guys noticed any rusty stains on your Stainless SAKOs?

I grab mine in August 2015 and after couple of months, during Red Stag Deer season, just after my 2 weeks holiday which I spent in the woods (in different weather conditions) I noticed some unwelcome stains on the chamber.

I took some pics and sent those to a seller (who is also a friend of mine). He took my rifle and went to a general dealer. After the inspection they gave me on paper that it was a dirt, maybe blood and what was even more shocking they also wrote on paper that it is only called stainless, but SAKO does not make their rifles of stainless steel.

after that, I wrote an email to SAKO Finland with a question about the materials which they use in they rifles. the reply was very clear - each part is made of stainless steel..

moreover, in my opinion it definitely was not a dirt-blood. I collect also a knives for last 20 + years. I do know how rust looks like. and of course I tried to clear it before sending a rifle to the inspection, but only to check if it's not a dirt ;)

anyway, do you have any similar experience?

take care and have safety hunting.

P.S. sorry for my language, I try but I know that there is a lot of mistakes...

Not all stainless steel is 100% rust resistant. It depends on how much iron is in the alloy as well as the amount of chromium which is the main ingredient that prevents rust. So, if a particular grade of stainless has a high iron content (which will make it magnetic also) and a lower Chromium content it may rust in some cases.

Thx for the reply.
I'm aware of that, plus heat treating And metal processing also can fuel rust.
That is why I asked about your expierence.

Take care.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

It is called Stain-LESS for a reason. Stainless steel is much more resistant to corrosion than regular chromemoly steel, but it still can "rust" given the right conditions. Usually a good polishing will restore it's appearance.

It is called Stain-LESS for a reason. Stainless steel is much more resistant to corrosion than regular chromemoly steel, but it still can "rust" given the right conditions. Usually a good polishing will restore it's appearance.

very clever explanation! I like it and I agree with it :)
It's also very funny, because it's so simple due to the language.
Polish word for "stainless" does not allow any stains :) and in direct translation it means something like "non rust" steel. :)
Maybe I took it too strict to my head ;)
I got used to not care so much about rust during using CZ555 :)

Does anyone had similar experience?

take care and have safety hunting.

Hi Guerero,

I have a stainless model 75.
On the odd occasion if I have put the rifle away after a few days hunting in various conditions, without a clean/wipe down, I have noticed a little rust staining. I've been able to rub it out with a rag soaked in 'inox'.
I've never seen any rust scale or the like on a stainless rifle.

What Deersako states is what I have found too. Stainless rifles do require care but you can be a bit more relaxed than with ordinary barrels. My non-stainless M995 starts rusting just at the thought of rain.

Incidentally before I put any of my rifles away after cleaning I coat the bore with differential oil (SAE 90), stuff a rag in the breech, and then tie a bright red ribbon to the trigger guard to remind me to clean the barrel with brake cleaner or meths before shooting. Diff oil is much heavier than most gun oils and stays in place longer. I think the manufacturers must keep their oils deliberately thin to avoid lawsuits when someone shoots over the oil! - David

Hi David, I had the pleasure of hunting the Kawekas many years ago, and managed a young Sika stag.
Shot in the early morning, I carried it back to the hut 'Kiwi' style.
I left my old L61r (.300wm) in the tussocks along with my pack and didn't get back to collect them until late that evening.
Amazing how quickly rust can begin to form in the right conditions, and it was at that point I began to dream of a stainless Sako.

image.jpeg

Deersako, that's a nice looking Sika. Have never shot one myself or even seen one as they are only up north and most of our hunting is in the South Island.

I had the pleasure of hunting the Kawekas many years ago

Have you never been back or was one "Kiwi" pack horse effort enough? :) David

Hi David, sorry my pic has made the post a bit misleading. That's actually a Samber stag (only a young'n but with antlers about the size of my NZ Sika)

I was just sharing a pic of the versatile ss model 75 ;)

I haven't had the chance to get back over to your wonderful country since that last trip.
Before hunting in the Kawekas, I was in the South Island down near Haast hoping to bag a Red Stag. Where we were dropped off up the Arawhata River was a very short river flat and very steep, thick forest to the tops. The tops proved inaccessible to us South Island newbs and morning and afternoon a chopper was hammering the only open country we could access.
Heard the stags roaring very intermittently at night and managed to get close to a couple but no cigar.

The Kawekas were still a challenge, but not as tough as the 'deep south',
and without those mega sand flies !!!
:eek:

Ooops! I must have been distracted trying to work out how an L61 could look so like a 75 stainless! - David

Latest posts

Back