• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Model Information

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I am new to this forum. I just received a sako action. I can't find much information about it. I have called Beretta and they couldn't help me out. The action has no model on it. This is what is printed on the side Action by Sako of Finnland. The serial number starts with MR. Does anybody have any information on this model? Any help would be great.

You have a Sako action made for Magnum Research. This company built a rifle they called "Mountain Eagle" on Sako actions that were made specifically for them. These actions were not dovetailed, but contoured like a Rem 700, I believe, and use Rem 700 bases. By far the largest portion of MR actions were the long L691, but they also used some medium M591 and short S491 actions.

Of course Beretta can't help you out. They don't give a rat about Sakos produced prior to their gaining control of the company and don't pretend to support earlier Sakos with parts or service.

They look a lot like a Rem action. I will call Magnum Research to see if my chance they can help me out. Thank you of pointing me in the right direction on many different things. Beretta pretty much told me to go pack sand since it was before there ownership.

You have a good "builder" action. Most of the bare actions were sold "in the white" and ready to build. The rounded top does indeed accept Remington 700 bases. I know the 2 piece fit, but I haven't tried a one piece base yet to see if the spacing actually matches that of the Remington. Magnum research Mountain Eagle rifles used Krieger barrels and were given either an HS precision stock or a few had a McMillan stock. Tough to find a long action anywhere that can compare to the silky smooth L691 Sako.

One tip from a new guy to this forum. That particular action, referred to as a round top Sako shows great benefit from the addition of a Remington 700 style recoil lug. Since you are doing a ground up build at any rate, figure this into your build from the start and you may very well gain some cheap accuracy advantage with your finished piece. Cheers!

That particular action, referred to as a round top Sako shows great benefit from the addition of a Remington 700 style recoil lug.
It is the L691, M591, and S491 which had a bolted on (rather than integral) recoil lug, and they were made in both dovetailed and round top. There were lots of round top Sakos which did NOT have the bolt-on recoil lug of the *91-series made for proprietary brands like Browning, H&R, Beretta and maybe a couple of others which have an integral, not bolted on, recoil lug. So your advice is specific to the 91-series, not round tops in general.

If a Remington-type recoil lug were used the builder would need to use something other than a pre-inletted stock for the 91 series since a pre-inletted stock would have the factory recoil lug recess already in it.

Interesting, thank you. You can fit the Rem. recoil lug to the HS stock that came on ME rifles, I have done it by bedding in Devcon several times.

Latest posts

Back