• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

6,3 x 33 R

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi Janne,

Any more pics of action or barrel stampings ?
The only one I can see is on the buttplate, I can't make it out, but it's not any of the familiar Sako insignia's.

Does anyone recognise the make of this rifle ?

Hi deersako,

No, not any more pics atm. The seller is travelling and this is what she had in her cell. I will (a wild guess) have the gun in my possession in about 4-5 weeks, that is the normal time it takes for the police to do the paperwork. It can go faster and it can go slower, hard to say.

Marcus, I think you hit the nail on the head. I happen to have a Savage Sporter .25-20, and here's a photo of the bolt oriented in the same way that Janne's bolt is oriented. The cocking piece on Janne's is from later (I believe) production, but the bolts are definitely both for the same rifle.

By the way, I enjoy shooting my little Savage Sporter, but a Sako it is not.

P1020149 (800x450).jpg

Yep it is a Savage. You guys just beat me by a few seconds. I was getting ready to post but better late than never. What gets me is how the thing go recorded as a Sako in the first place. With all of the red tape that janne has to go through to just get a rifle in the first place, how did the documentation on this get so far off base?

rick

well at least they got the caliber right. I bought it really cheap so I will see how it perform...thank you all for your inputs.

I just talked to the seller, her husband bought it on an auction i Finland some 10? years ago and it is said to have been in the Finnish army.

Last edited:
?...., but a Sako it is not.
Well not 100% sure about that stonecreek. I think it might be a Savage-Sako. Janne's post got the cat out of the bag a little quicker than I expected and I don't know too much about them but I believe Sako refurbished some of these savages in the same vein as the Sako enfields (I've only been keeping an eye out for these for the past 6 months or so and don't have too much to go on). I haven't be able to find out too much about them and only have limited pictures but I believe Sako may have produced a run of these in the 1960s. So far from what I can tell and the information I can find they were chambered in .25-20 and .22 hornet and possibly .32-20. Now I don't have much to go on, only some photos below and a few references to them. I'm not sure of the extent of sakos involvement and what they did but from what I can gather definitely fitting Sako ladder and ramp sites and also screw on dovetails but I'm not sure about what else. What I have been chasing is close up action pics and any proof mark stamping photos.Hopefully janne you can provide us with some when you get your rifle to complete the puzzle? So janne I still think you may have a very interesting Sako rifle!
P.S. I also wondered if these Savage-Sako's may have been where the mythical .32-20 Sako L46 confusion comes from?
P.P.S I also believe there could be a Hasqvana Sako as well, but it could also be this same rifle. I just don't have enough info yet to know.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Topgear, you come up with some of the damnedest thingso_O! So far we've seen Sako-Enfields, Russian Sako-Winchesters, and now Savage-Sakos.

I'll have to admit: The photos do show a Savage Sporter (otherwise known as a Model 23). The scope bases are definitely for a Sako ringmount. The ladder sight looks like a Sako sight. The front sight looks like a Sako sight. What's going on here????!

I can see where Sako might find a project refurbishing a reasonable volume of guns, like military Enfields or Winchesters, the numbers of which might make it worthwhile. But it's hard to see where a volume of Savage Sporters might come from to make such a project feasable. I'll be awaiting with bated breath photos of Janne's rifle when he gets it, and more information on the mystery rifle in your photos.

BTW: The Savage Model 23 is somewhat unique in that the action and the barrel are a single piece of forged tubing. Talk about a strong, vibrationless mating of the barrel and the action, you just can't get any stronger;). The Model 23 was factory chambered in .22 RF, .22 Hornet, .218 Bee (I think), .25-20, and .32-20. It was the consummate farmer's small game rifle of the early 20th Century. It was more affordable than the Winchester Model 43 or the Marlin or Winchester Levers, with the Remington Model 25 slide action rifle being probably its closest competitor.

Yes I believe so too. Perhaps its a Savage in a Sako stock? The mag is different though?
There were two versions of the Savage Sporter magazine. On the earlier one the bottom 1/3 or so of the box was textured with a stamped diamond pattern, probably to enhance the finger grip on it when inserting and removing. This is like the one in Topgear's photos. The later magazine was plain stamped steel as in your photos.

I just talked to the seller, her husband bought it on an auction i Finland some 10? years ago and it is said to have been in the Finnish army.

"Said to have been in the Finnish army".
Hmmm . . . could Savage have sold an order of their Model 23's to the Finnish military, perhaps for training rifles (or perhaps they were issued to officers to hunt capercaillie:D)? At any rate, if there is a military connection that could explain why there would be a volume of them and why Sako might have done some refurbishments or retrofittings on them. Maybe Sako was contracted to alter them to match Finnish military specs, who knows?

Pictures are dark & show no detail, so it very hard to tell what it is. It's definitely not a L46 Sako. Might be a Savage. I think there 25-20 bolt gun was called a Model 29 or 23???? Surely the name & model is stamped on the weapon somewhere.

But it's hard to see where a volume of Savage Sporters might come from to make such a project feasable.

yes I'm not sure. I also don't have any strong dates on when they may have been complied. The suggestion so far from what I've found has been in the late 1960s. I wonder if Sako tried these in a run as a low cost alternative to the L46 in non .222 calibres? We know by the late 1960s very few if any hornets or .25-20s were being produced so I wonder if they possibly had a foray at using another lower cost action to produce a low cost domestic rifle? It's just so hard to say. The thing is I've seen mention to what I think are these rifles around 1/2 a dozen or so times so there must be a few out there.

I had hoped you guys may have found a record book microfiche that detailed these. I know Timo could find mention in a 'Ledger' of the Sako-enfields but I haven't got enough information together to ask him about these yet. I do wonder if there was a record or ledger set kept that detailed these re-furb rifles that the SCA may not have got?

Anyway we await Janne's rifle delivery and hopefully some more pieces to the puzzle!

The suggestion so far from what I've found has been in the late 1960s.

I do wonder if there was a record or ledger set kept that detailed these re-furb rifles that the SCA may not have got?
I think that Savage quit producing the Model 23 long before the 1960's, but I'll have to see what I can find on that.

Regarding the "non-Sako Sakos" in the records held by the SCC: There are no inspection records on the Sako-Mausers, but they are included in the shipping records (this makes them very hard to find since the shipping records are not arranged by serial number.) There is no mention in the records SCC holds of the Enfields or Winchesters, and certainly none of the possible Savages. It is probable that Sako kept records on the Enfields and Winchesters, but if they did such records are not among those which were given to Mims Reed of the old Sako Collectors Association and generously passed on to the SCC.

I have to report that I just bought a real Sako L46 gen 2 or 3. Cal 7x33. Pics will come soon. I am in Spain on vacation atm.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Looks like a beauty janne. That one will be a L46 for sure and looks like it has the later right safety. It has an export birch stock on it. These I believe were sent to places like Sweden and has the checkering on the pistol grip. The domestic birch stocks generally had no checkering at all. Nice find.

I think that Savage quit producing the Model 23 long before the 1960's, but I'll have to see what I can find on that.
If you can find out that would be good to know. I know nothing about savages. They would have to be around 1960s production as they have the fine checkered front site ramp not the course early version Sako used. So that feature does add wait to the 1960s time frame.

My 1948 edition of Shooter's Bible shows the Savage Model 23 among the rifles offered by Savage. I don't have the 1949 edition, but in the 1950 and subsequent editions of Shooter's Bible the Model 23 is absent. So I have to conclude that it was discontinued sometime in the late 1940's.

This "Sako-Savage" indeed seems an odd duck. Will be eager to learn more when Janne has his hands on it, as well as when Topgear can get more info on the one in the photo.

The 23 was made from 1923 to WWII as best as I can figure out, so if Sako reworked or otherwise had anything to do with this rifle it may have been pre-WWII. Can't see them bothering with it after they came out with the L46, but you never know.

I am still in Spain, will be home next weekend. Hopefully the paperwork will be done...but I doubt it.
Anyhow my serial# on the L46 is 27721.

well I finally got it. It is a *drumroll* most probably a Savage-Sako or a Sako-Savage.

Some pics: A "stamp" on the barrel says Sako and then the serialnumber.

Attachments

• SSakostamp.jpg
    SSakostamp.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 54
  • SS5.jpg
    SS5.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 50
  • SS4.jpg
    SS4.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 51
  • SS3.jpg
    SS3.jpg