• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnfire hunter first test @range

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Amleto63

image.jpeg image.jpeg Yesterday I did first test of my Finny at 50m.
After some fouling shots and scope zeroed with SK Std.+ ammo I did a first record using Lapua Center-X.
Not so bad as I need to familiarize with the slim stock. Very happy!

Today test with cheap SK Std.+ ammo, 248/250, improving and very happy!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 25
My .22 lr Sako Quad used to love RWS R-50, too.

Nice targets, Amleto63. But if you insist on using SK (nothing wrong with it) you'll find surprising results if you sort your ammo by rim size and weight. I learned it from an american gunwriter long ago and followed his advice. Got great results doing so with Lapua 500-can ammo in BR-50, which is the formal group competition we had before that new score target came into use.

JW.

Yes, it is a Rock Junior rest, what we use in our club competitions.
I agree on SK as I use them for training and Center-X for competitions, being more consistent.

However as I shoot front rest only and 6.5x magnification, ammo sorting (apart bulk ones) is less critical than shooting techniques, IMHO

Thanks, Amleto. In that case, I absolutely agree with you.

JFYI, as you know Spain is different in many things, including magnification. Some luminary in our guild decided magnification wouldn't be 6,5X but infinite, as in Open class. One thing is certain: no record attained in this country will be internationally registered due to it.

JW.

John,

here in Italy we have 2 main rimfire specialities:
- the international BR50 speciality (Sporter, LV and HV categories) plus an additional category which is valid only in Italy, in order to let new BR shooters to familiarize with BR competitions at reduced costs. This category is called "Standard" and only factory rimfire rifles can be used (pillars and bedding and trigger job are allowed) under same sporter rules (rifle weight, scope magnification, etc.);
- The Italian Rimfire Championship with 4 categories (Production, Super production, Open and Trainer) according specific factory rifles list. My Finnfire P94S Hunter shoots in Production while my Anschutz 1710 HB in Super Production. In both categories we shoot front rest only (the Caldwell Rock JR is the standard rest) and 6.5x magnification. The Open category has no limitations in scope magnification and rifles (we can use custom rifles)

Finally, as in Spain, we have the F Class 22 (your Mini F Class), same F Class match conditions at 100 and 200 meters, apart from rifles' weight if TR or Open.

Welcome and thanks very much for posting all of this information. Now if I could just get my .22 to shoot that well!

rick

Thanks for the info, Amleto 63. Don't you use rear bag? Mmh, interesting. That really ellicits good shooting technique. In that case, I presume you are free to develop whatever system you device to keep the buttstock on your shoulder (if no bag was available/legal I would plant my weak -left- palm next to my armpit, fingers across biceps, and rest the stock toe on the index/thumb juntion web. What technique do you use?

JW.

In Spain we have the same International categories, of course, but no national specialties, apart from scope power as I said this morning. I firmly believe 6.5X would equal shooters (I am not reproducing Groutxo Marx quote about men and women's equality ;))

For general information, the previous BR-50 was shot for groups in Spain with .22 lr ammo @ 50 metres, from a bench, with front and rear rests, at a traditional 100-yard BR target. That modality is now gone and the replacing one is the same but at a score target, precisely the one Amleto 63 showed.

I was a dedicated BR-50 shooter for years and reached the highest level (here it is just called "Master"). So I did in other modalities like HBR with my .308 Winchester-chambered Remington 700. But that's another story. Now I switched with a veteran Walther KK to the new BR-50, as I love shooting for score with both rifle and pistol, in the HV category. Not bad results but just no time to practice (I became a father eight and a half years ago and that was it); hunting is to blame too :(. The icing on the cake is ... I enjoy that Mini-F-Class you mentioned (made third in the last Territorials).

JW.

Believe or not, I learned an hour ago I have the chance to purchase a 94S just like yours. It'd be my fifth Sako.

JW.

John,
My technique is mainly using my left hand as a rear bag, and a tight hold of buttstock. The most critical part is finding the same position every shot as you need to break your position during the ammo extraction/feeding.
You need to find the perfect forend position on the rest as the hunter stock plus the standard front bag don't help. Most of top production category shooters has Anschutz 1416 bevertail as it is easier to place on the rest and heavier. But I love my finnfire and I think is more accurate than the 1416 (I keep the record score of 248.2/250).
My scope is a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 with fine crosshair/dot reticle

Amleto,

The use of your left hand sounds fine, as evidenced by your good results. If we reviewed and compared all aspects of our shooting technique we would find different answers but equally good results. Once more, shooting techniques are not carved in stone ... either at the range or in the field.

As you know, a forend stop is a great implement when finding the exact position time and again is told . As a prone competition shooter, I understand very well your words about the position change every time you extract/feed.

The Anschutz 1710 HB and the Sako Quad more often than not take the first places in BR-50 Sporter in this country. LV and HV are a different story. I wish Sako had a Match rifle we could customize and shoot in either. I am particularly interested in both BR-50 and Mini F-Class LV categories (and am pretty sure my wish would be a top shooter in HV, too !!).

My scope of choice for Mini F-Class is a Leupold 35X45 Competition w/FCH & 1/8" dot.

JW.

Last edited:
I own a 1710 HB as well, pillared and bedded. I shoot it in the upper category we call super production and mini F Class

Attachments

• IMG_3103.JPG
    IMG_3103.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 5
Amleto,

The use your left hand sounds fine, as evidenced by your good results. If we reviewed and compared all aspects of our shooting technique we would find different answers but equally good results. Once more, shooting techniques are not carved in stone ... either at the range or in the field.

As you know, a forend stop is a great implement when finding the exact position time and again is told . As a prone competition shooter, I understand very well your words about the position change every time you extract/feed.

The Anschutz 1710 HB and the Sako Quad more often than not take the first places in BR-50 Sporter in this country. LV and HV are a different story. I wish Sako had a Match rifle we could customize and shoot in either. I am particularly interested in both BR-50 and Mini F-Class LV categories (and am pretty sure my wish would be a top shooter in HV, too !!).

My scope of choice for Mini F-Class is a Leupold 35X45 Competition w/FCH & 1/8" dot.

JW.

How a 1710 HB with a scope would weight less than sporter limit?

Good question. I don't know the answer, but I have seen one in BR-50 and one in Mini-F-Class, both reaching top results in the Nationals.

JW.

Back