• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 rebarreling - how dificult

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

mads0076

Hi all,

I'm contemplating buying a well used VL63 in 243. The throat is rather burnt out. Is a rebarrelling a difficult job for a 'normal' gunsmith? I live in Denmark and even if we are close to Finland there are virtually no Finnwolfs around, and the general experience with this rifle quite limited. I will not buy it if rebarrelling would be a too difficult job.

Hope you can help.

Mads

Hi Mads

Pretty easy and no real difference to a bolt rifle. One below converted to .260 rem here in Australia and the smith also modified it to take both the flat bottom and coffin style magazines interchangeably.

However in saying that I am not familiar with 'Normal' gunsmiths in Norway.

Cheers John

Wolf1.JPG Wolf2.JPG Wolf3.JPG

Topgear, thanks for those photos. I thought that a flat-bottom magazine Finnwolf could be modified to take a coffin-bottom magazine, but I had never seen it done. It appears from the photos that all it took was relieving the wood surrounding the magazine to allow the coffin bottom flange to seat. Is this correct? It was never clear to me why Sako changed the magazine in mid-production.

Beautiful custom Finnwolf, by the way. What kind of wood is the stock?

Hi Stonecreek

Yes its just a matter of either removing wood or metal similar to adapting the winchester 88 mags to fit. You can also use shim steel to shim the magazines to get a tighter fit if needed. The shims are glued to the magazine inside the stock line and the whole mag reblued. This creates a very tight fit with little movement and is very useful on the 8 shot colyer magazines when converted to fit the finnwolf.

That stock was built by Geoff Slee I believe who passed away a few years back. Its not my rifle so not 100% sure if its NZ or Aussie walnut, Geoff used both.

Cheers John

Hi Mads

Pretty easy and no real difference to a bolt rifle. One below converted to .260 rem here in Australia and the smith also modified it to take both the flat bottom and coffin style magazines interchangeably.

However in saying that I am not familiar with 'Normal' gunsmiths in Norway.

Cheers John

View attachment 9441 View attachment 9442 View attachment 9443

Hi topgear, thank you for the info. I guess I will be on for the 243 win then. And great looking rifle indeed. But what caliber to choose now?

Latest posts

Back