• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Buyer BEWARE! It's not even close to original.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
This subject and this dealer have both come up for negative comments before, but when I checked out his latest offering on Guns International I felt he has gone yet another step beyond acceptable practices.

So here's the title of the ad: "Sako Riihimaki .22 Hornet. Deluxe. Super Rare Caliber". If you want a rebarreled, restocked, reblued L46 .22 Hornet for $4,000, then here it is: http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...eluxe-super-rare-caliber.cfm?gun_id=100691969

Unfortunately, the ad says nothing about its being restocked, just that it has a "Gorgeously Crafted Deluxe Stock". The ad says nothing about its having a replacement barrel, even though anyone familiar with Sakos can see that the ".22 Hornet" stamped longitudinally on the side of the barrel is NOT factory Sako. The ad says nothing about being reblued, even though the (quite lovely) bluing job is clearly not 60 years old. And the bottom metal has no engraving as a Deluxe would have had.

The original rifle would have had a non-Monte Carlo stock, and to the knowledge of anyone who has researched it, no Deluxes were being offered as early as 1955 when the gun was made (not 1956 as the ad states the date of the gun).

No question that this seller has created quite a nice rifle, using a genuine Sako action. But it he is clearly attempting to allow a less-sophisticated buyer to believe that the rifle is genuine and original. Shame on "Custom Shop" once again.

Yes, they absolutely could be more honest regarding originality, considering they know for fact their rifles are anything but original. This particular ad has one glaring fault in the line - DOM: BARRELED ACTION 1956. MADE IN FINLAND. A newbie would be caught out on that one not knowing the barrel was not made in Finland as was the action. Compounding the felony is the fact that the super-rare cartridge was crafted from a not so super rare .22 Hornet reamer. Shameful in my book.
I have noticed their ads have been toned down considerably and they are using the word we all so love - original - much less, if at all. I believe this is due in large part to the efforts of The SCC shining the light on re-sellers of Sakos. ********** ads in the past were very mis-leading, these days they are much less mis-leading. Keep shining the light, Stone!

That one looks legit to me, nice rifle. Appears to be some wear on the floorplate. I've got one of those on an L579 action, but seeing one on the L57 with blonde wood is just grabbing to me. I'd like to add it to my stash, but not for that high price. I hope somebody gets it.

DeerGoose

The L57 on GI appears to be original, but completely refinished. The stock & bluing show no signs of use, not even any handling marks if it were on a shelf or in a safe for 58 years, yet the checkering is full of gunk & new finish & the points are worn. Polishing marks on the barrel are another give away. Once again these guys are just unable to be completely forthright. You would think they would have repointed the checkering & completed what is otherwise a very nice restoration of a truly rare configuration/caliber combo. At least, this time, his "asking" price isn't so far above reality as to discourage someone from starting negotiations, even though I deplore his dubious marketing practices.

I would agree with Paulson that the finishes appear to be redone. If I were selling this rifle with finish in such good condition and knew the finish to be original I would certainly say so. If I had a question as to its originality but didn't know for sure, then I'd state that. The lack of any statement as to the originality of finish raises suspicions.

You all may already know this, but this is the same gun store that has a reality show called "The Gunfather". Maybe the reason the prices are high is you get a chance to be on TV <grin>

Yes, I do now see the "gunk" in the checkering. Some stock finish application there. At the very least, the floorplate assembly doesn't look reblued to me, there is wear there. Or the pictures appear to show wear. Sometimes, pics can fool ya, or they've done that to me from time to time. Also remember that the early guns had the really nice bluing on ALL receivers, except for some of the three and four digit Riihimaki's, and the barrel bluing was toned down a bit on the standard sporters. Points well made with the vendors, so hopefully this will be good info for potentially unsuspecting buyers. The internet is a great way to buy guns, but unfortunately doesn't allow for close and personal inspections. Where is the local gun show when you need something like this rare Sako to show up?

DeerGoose

I'd say the stock is refinished. Looks like they didn't cut the checkering, you can see extra gunk in it. Not sure about the bluing. You would have to get it in your hands to tell.
And that's another thing that sucks about this seller. No returns if it's a consigned rifle. And if you want to return it he'll say its on consignment. And if it's one of his guns, you'll have to pay return shipping along with a 15% restocking fee.

Latest posts

Back