• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Scope Advise??

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Larry K.

Hi, I acquired a riihimaki 222 (inherited) from 1954. It's near perfect. It came with a peep and no scope. I'd like to add a quality scope. I'm not up on what scope is good on a 222 Rem. capability.

Any advise on a proper scope for this rifle would be appreciated! Thank you, larry.k

1> Use only SAKO or Leupold mounts for a SAKO, please do not take it to a gunsmith to have it drilled and tapped for bases. WHEW got that out of my system...
2> What are you using it for? I'm a Leupold fan, so depending on what application, I'd go (probably) with straight 4X maybe a 3X9 (doubt it) and possibly a compact, depending on how it "looks" and feels.

Oh, wait, you're in Massachusetts, do you have to do paperwork to transfer an estate gun? Is it even legal there? Not being smart, not sure of the laws in Mass, so please educate all of us on the process to receive an estate gun in that state.

Thanks.

I got it "booked" in MA according to the law, that's a trick in itself! Thanks for the advise, I won't have it drilled.
I want the scope for varmint capability, probably a 200 yard shot or less. Leopold sounds good.

lary.k

Larry, I have several Sako 222. I like Leupold 2x7. I think it is perfect for that gun. Just my opinion. Bowne1

I am also a Leupold man. Compacts look really nice on the little action. 2-7 is a very good choice, but I would go 3-9 because I'm old and the extra magnification is something I find comforting. I like Sako rings the best, though there are other choices. Check out the huge thread somewhere here on this site regarding Sako scope mounting options. Enjoy that heirloom!

Thanks everyone! I think I"ll go with a Leupold 2-7 and Sako mounts. Although I'll look at the 3-9 also, because I too am old!! Yes, it is a wonder to pull the rifle out and see something that looks just like it did the day it was born!

I'm a Leupold fan, so depending on what application, I'd go (probably) with straight 4X maybe a 3X9 (doubt it) and possibly a compact, depending on how it "looks" and feels.

I think the Leupold Compact (now Ultralight) 3-9X is tailor-made for the L461 action. I have that scope on several Sako L461's and find its size a great physical match for the rifle and its magnification range adequate for .222 distances.

As others have suggested, the "regular" size Leupold 2-7 is also a nice size for an L461, but you may find the slight extra magnification of the 3-9 advantageous if shooting small targets at extended distances. That said, I have a Leupold Compact 2-7 on an A-I .223 and haven't found the lower magnification much of a handicap.

Thanks Greyfox there are so many choices. What caliber is the L462? I'm dealing with the L46, little 222 Remington, pretty short action.

I'm a Leupold fan myself. I've had just about everything imaginable on my L461's from 2-7's to 36x's. For the 222 I've found 4-12's to be ideal for western varmints but don't shoot much stuff on the run where lower end, lower power might be helpful.

Thanks John, I am very pleased with my Leupold scope. It fits the rifle just right, and it works well with my eye. I'm shooting close groups at the range. Haven't had a chance to shoot varmints yet, but I'm sure looking forward to that.

Hello Larry,

I have a 1961 Khales Wien Helia 2-7 variable on my L461 .222 Rem. HB and It really does look right! I used 26mm Sako vintage medium mounts & rings. The low mounts & rings would not work, because the bolt handle hit the scope! Another
great scope to look out for would be a Pecar Berlin 2-7 variable or a 4X fixed power. Good luck in your search.

Blackjack

The Leupold Compact 3-9X is my favorite scope, for light sporter L461 actioned rifles......with Conetrol's, of course. Right, Stone??:)
2n1djzm.jpg

Last edited:
Compact scopes like the Leupold's already mentioned are an excellent choice. I wish Kahles still produced the 2-7x36 CL or AH scopes. They are one of my ATF scope.

If you working out to 200 yards I would suggest a Leupold 3-9x40 at a minimum. The VX2 4-12x40 is the same size and is a great scope. I have one on a 220 Swift. On my L461 I have a VX3 3.5-10x40 and I like it a lot. My shooting range is anywhere between 5 ft to 250 yards.

My eyes are old so I like to see what I'm shooting at.

Back