• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Weird L579 - Pics Added

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

deadeye

Local pawn shop has a strange L579 maybe you experts can help identify. It looks like a Forester with a nice dark stock, great wood with a fore end cap. L579 action in .243 with about a 19.5 inch barrel. I thought it had been shortened but original owner says not. No crowning on barrel end - just flush. No importer markings on barrel. Really pretty Sako but needs cleaning up. Thanks!

So it maybe is a Mannlicher sitting in Deluxe stock, or a Mannlicher sitting in an after-market stock, or a rifle that really had the barrel cut back after all. Share some pics and the experts here can more likely than not tell you exactly what it is you are looking at. A serial range would be helpful as well.

About 19.5" barrel & no crown, dark wood with fore end cap are not things a original Sako would likely have but that is just not enough info to determine anything. Barrel length is measured from bolt face to muzzle. Look at some of the pictures & barrel stampings here to get an idea of what a L579 should look like.

Sako%204.jpg
sako%202.png
Sako%201.png

It has "SAKO Cal. 243" under the scope bell on top of the barrel and the serial # is 857XX

From what I can tell from the pics, that appears to be a L579 barreled action that was placed in a very nicely done custom stock & the barrel shortened.

The value of any custom rifle is subjective & depends on the circumstances. A brief description & a couple pictures is hardly enough to base an appraisal on. Rifles don't have magical "value" stickers on them. Suffice it to say no custom rifle will sell for what it cost to build & won't exceed what a factory original Sako will fetch. Rifles are worth what a willing buyer & a willing seller agree to. I personally wouldn't consider it unless I was looking for a L579 action to build a rifle on & could buy it for what the action is worth. Others may see it as the rifle of their dreams. Like I said, it depends. Lots of info here & on the gun sale/auction sites you can research to guesstimate value, but in the end it will be decided by you & the seller, which should be LESS than a factory Sako of the same vintage.

If it's in like new condition, and from what I can see. I would guess the value to be with in the $900 to $1200 range.

If it's in like new condition, and from what I can see. I would guess the value to be with in the $900 to $1200 range.
One could buy a factory original in similar condition in that price range or probably less. Which reinforces my contention that a rifle is worth what a "willing" buyer & a seller agree to.

I just seen a nicely done custom Mannlicher sell for $1650.

It just depends on condition and how well done the custom stock is crafted, along with how nice the wood is. I have seen custom Sako's bring more than what an original one would bring.

The above rifle that I was talking about was a re-barreled, A2. I don't think that a orginal A2 Sako would of brought $1600.

Back