• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Rifle search guidance

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Bill72

From what I can read there seems to be a lack of strict correlation between manufacture dates and serial numbers. Is there a "magic serial number" that has been identified that would be a safe point of demarcation for pre-Garcia/Garcia and later? For example, is 44XXX pre-Garcia for sure or do we have examples of exceptions?
Thanks.

In a word, no. There is a range of serial numbers in which the L461, L579, and L61R (each with its own serial number sequence) were imported by both Firearms International and Garcia. Further, there was no difference in the late F.I. rifles and the early Garcia rifles. So no "bright line" exists. Besides, "pre-Garcia" and "Garcia" is a concept that exists only in the U.S. since other companies imported to other countries.

yes, and yes. Nothing is certain with our rifles. But here is what I go by:

Small actions: typically, anything less than around #115,000 is pre-Garcia
Medium actions: typically, anything less than around #110,000 is pre-Garcia
Large actions: typically, anything less than around #64,000 is pre-Garcia

are there exceptions? Absolutely, and lots of them. I've got a couple of Finnbears in the 40,000 range that are Garcia rifles, and I also own several Vixens above the 110,000 range that are pre-Garcia, including one .222 fullstock with SN #111,xxx with a Bofors stamping. Go figure.

We've talked about this sort of thing for years on this forum, and all the stories are true, but the one thing that is the absolute truth is this: let your collection formulate the story, which I'm lucky enough to have a big enough collection to create these stories. The rifles just don't lie.

DeerGoose

I said "no" and DeerGoose said "yes", but I think we gave the same answer: There is no magic number -- but the lower the number the more likely the importer was F.I., and the higher the number the more likely the importer was to be Garcia.

But the examples that don't fit this rule are everywhere: Most people would swear that L61R #34405 (30,000 short of Deergoose's guideline number of 64,000) just has to be pre-Garcia. However, it is a Garcia .25-06 shipped in late 1971.

There are a few things you can say with some certainty: There were no F.I. L61R rifles with six-digit SN's. There were no F.I. L579 or L461 rifles with serial numbers higher than the 100,000's. However, that leaves a lot of room for intermingling of SN's between F.I. and Garcia in the middle, especially in the 1970-1972 period.

There is one sure-fire way to tell who imported the rifle, though. ALL Garcias will have an import stamp on the bottom side of the barrel. F.I. rifles after 1968 will also have the F.I. import stamp, and those before 1968 will have nothing. Similarly, rifles imported by individuals (like soldier bring-backs) will have no import mark, but then regardless of when they were made they are by definition not Garcia imports.

Thank you Stonecreek and Deergoose. I was afraid that there were enough exceptions to ensure my perpetual state of confusion. Your comments and recommended serial number general guidelines will be very helpful to me in trying to find some really clean examples to purchase. As a new member it is a pleasure having the experts willing to take the time to educate me. Know that your time and knowledge is truly appreciated, especially since my location will probably ensure that I won't be able to have the rifle in my hands prior to purchase. Thanks again.

Back