• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Pre WW2 Discuss your pre-WW2 Sakos here!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

L61R

SCC President
SCC Board Member
All!

We´ve just put up a new forum where you can knock yourselves out discussing all those pre-war Sakos!

Enjoy!

Jim

Guys , I've never thought about but buying a Sako M-39 Mosin-Nagant until today at a gunshow. They're a bit pricey at $400 as far as mil surp goes but the Finnish workmanship is apparently recognized as superior....even back then.

It's got a 6 digit s/n 242xxx with a mirror bore and 1944 on the barrel. That same serial # looks stamped differently on the receiver....maybe by hand? It has Sako stamp on the barrel and 2 stamps on the stock. The normal gear trademark and another with a 'S' in a circle apparently indicating a re-arsenal mark. The stock's forearm is finger-jointed together. The receiver is hex shaped where the barrel threads in. The sights go to 800m.

It's got a a 2-line import marking on the top of the barrel near the fron sight.
Of course it's chambered in the 7.62x54R cal. The trigger feels fairly light for a military rifle though fairly long and really has a single stage feel to it.

What can you tell me about it. What to look for, what to avoid, etc?

I did not notice if the bolt matched or not. Anything would help

Thanks,

Phil

PS. I shot 1 of these a few months ago but, even thought it was a run of the mill Mosin-Nagant (non-Sako), it shot surprisingly well in an aftermarket stock, with a scope and mil-surp ammo.btheyre supposed to have 30-06 performance but it did not kick like my -06s. Maybe the extra weight helped as it felt more like a push on my shoulder rather than a punch.

I collect these things. These rifles have spirit and they like to go out and show you what they can do. Today was warmer, only about minus 12 celsius, and I took my M28 out. I had some Prvi Partisan 150 grain stuff I wanted to try out and also needed to burn-up some ammo in my BRNO Kar98 with wintergart. It's good to practice offhand with gloves. Ironically, Princess Auto had Milsurp Czech. army lineman's gloves with trigger finger on-sale! The M28 Nagant has a heavier barrel and a bizarre cocking piece modification that was dropped in subsequent models The receiver has a T-slot cut into it to engage the same geometry added to the cocking piece-like a T nut. This stabilizes the cocking piece giving it a crisper more consistent let-off after the long first-stage. To my surprise, the 150 grain stuff shot better off hand than the 185 grain Prvi-partisan stuff I usually feed-it. I think she was jealous because I had encased the 91 Jalkavenkivari to go but left it behind. She wanted to show me I didn't any other gun but her.

Not rifles but next best thing. I have rifles to match, M27 and M39.

Attachments

• 20240105_131109.jpg
    20240105_131109.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240105_131047.jpg
    20240105_131047.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 7
Back