• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Newb Need Info On What I Have

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Sgt. Mac

Gentlemen,

I have recently inherited a rifle from my grandfather's estate. I am not exactly sure what I have or the value of what I have. The rifle is marked Sako Riihimaki and has a heavy bull barrel chambered in .222. I believe it is a L46, but I am not sure. I am not really a gun guy and not sure what I have. Can you please help me.

Attachments

• IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3304.JPG
    IMG_3304.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3302.JPG
    IMG_3302.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 46
Welcome, Sarge, you've inherited a very nice Sako. You are correct that it is an L46. Everything appears original about it other than the quick attach sling studs which are replacements for the original swivels, and it is in very good condition. It is a fairly late one in the L46 series with the forged bottom metal and monte carlo stock. Should be a real shooter.

Sir, the scope appears to be a Weaver, did this come with the rifle or was it added like later? I know that some rifles would come as a package with scopes from the factory such as Remington, etc.

Original HB L46's in that configuration can bring 800-1000. Those high sako rings will get you 150.00, can't tell much about the scope. Those prices are based on a complete original gun with no rust or extra holes in it.

Very nice. Keep it clean. Take good care of it. Don't ding up the stock or the metal. Don't change anything. It is definitely a keeper. Thanks for bringing it to us.

Sir, the scope appears to be a Weaver, did this come with the rifle or was it added like later? I know that some rifles would come as a package with scopes from the factory such as Remington, etc.
Sako rifles were never offered with a scope "package". The "package" deals offered today are a more recent marketing tool & are usually an economy model rifle & scope targeted to the beginner.
Your rifle is sporting original Sako ringmounts, but unfortunately it appears to have had different scope bases at one time that required drilling & tapping the dovetails. This does detract from it's collector value somewhat, but it is still a very nice rifle that most here would be happy to have.

That is a beauty and shows well for the 55 or so years it has been around. You say you're not a 'gun guy' but I would urge you to keep it long enough to shoot it. It is a very nice rifle that kicks little and will impress you much. Hey, you might be a gun guy and just don't know it yet.

I didn't notice the extra holes in the dove tails until Paul brought them to our attention. This is a really fine example of the L46 Sako that was available back in the day. Too bad someone decided to drill the action for different mounts as there were plenty of dove tail mounting options available back then and they had to be cheaper than paying for drilling and tapping the action. I cringe at the thought.

From the collector perspective a modification like this isn't going to bode well for value because there are other unmodified HB .222 Remington L46 rifles out there to choose from. Still it is a great rifle and will make an excellent shooter that will be fun to plink with. BTW for the right price I wouldn't kick it out of bed and neither would any of our brethren I'm sure.

rick

Gentlemen, I appreciate all the information and feedback. It honesty I will probably end up selling this piece to fund other projects. I appreciate all the honest valuation and letting me know what I have. Thank you all.

-Sgt. Mac

Back