• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What rifles other than sako's do you hunt with?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Dozens, but I like the old Winchesters and other western historical guns from Sharps to Whitney Kennedy to Colt and many more. This is just a day in the rabbit fields with a Whitney Kennedy 45-60 in a SRC, A Winchester 1895 in 40-72, a Winchester 1873 in 22 Long and a Colt lightning SRC in 44-40. All old and all original guns...

imagejpg8.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

I have a couple CZ rifles I hunt with. A 22LR and a 17 HMR. Both are very accurate and comfortable to shoot. As I grow older my hunting days are mostly behind me with the exception of varmints or an occasional rabbit.

Center fire hunting would be dominated by SAKO. I collect military rifles mostly European WWII and of late have focused my interest on Skeet guns.

My latest loves in Sako are the 222 Rem which are affordable to shoot, and very accurate. I have an L46 and a light and heavy L461. Love the small action.

Sako Forum Picture 004.JPG

I finally took a picture of the rifles other than Sako that I hunt with. From left to right:

1. Ruger Mark II 1 of 1000 50th year 264 Win Mag with Leupold 3.5 x 10
2. Remington 700 BDL first year production 7mm Mag. with Leupold 3.5 x 10
3. Ruger Mark II Express Rifle 25-06 Rem. with Leupold 3 x 9 Compact
4. Whitworth Express African Series made in Manchester England 7mm Mag. with Leupold 3 x 9
5. Laying on table. Weatherby Mark 5 Alaskan in 300 Wby. Mag. with Leupold 3.5 x 10

Well guys, I hope this isn't too John Wayne for you. But I dearly love Remington 788's in smaller calibers. I have owned 4, and currently have only 3 of them. I sold the 243 as I already had a Sako Forester Deluxe. However the incredible accuracy of the 788 is hard to overlook. My mentor got one in 222 Rem, and I was already into the 223 idea at the time, not seeing the wisdom of the smaller case. I later bought a 22-250. Both got Canjar triggers, Weaver T-16 scopes, and Redfield one piece bases and the STD rings. Unbeatable shooting ¼" groups at 100 yds, with ease. The 22-250 opening to 5/16ths. almost 30 years later I bought a 1980 vintage 788 in 223 at a local pawn shop. The guy was sure it wasn't worth much so I obliged him by offering $250. I put a picatiny rail on it and some Warne QD rings with a Leapers 6-24x50 AO scope... see the attached group shot at 256 yards using a 45 cal bullet hole as a bullseys... that's equivalent to a .14"
group at 100 yds... This rifle had the Rem trigger, but after accuracy testing I bought a Timney and now it's going to be handed down to someone in my family when I'm gone... The load is 24.5gr of BLC2 and 52gr Sierra HPBT. The overwhelming bullet of choice in my former club for high accuracy.
2011-09-03 18.20.04.jpg The Leapers scope is quite fine for .223 as the scope is nice and sharp out to 350 yards. About the end of the 223's range. Yes you can shoot further, but I'd switch to a 22-250 or 243 for going out to 500 yards.

[QUOTE="David Henzler, see the attached group shot at 256 yards using a 45 cal bullet hole as a bullseys... that's equivalent to a .14"

Great shooting David
Cheers Mark

Those Remington 788's were an incredible rifle in such an economical package. You can always depend on Corporate America to withdraw anything from the market that gives you more than you paid for.

Thanks for the comments fellas. I will never sell them, or my SAKO's for that matter. The only time I sell a SAKO is if I have already bought a better one and test fired it with my accuracy load.

I must add that SAKO's are so uniform in quality that my friend who bought a 22-250, a 243, and a 30-06 has tried my accuracy loads, and has never been able to find something that shoots better. All three of my SAKO 243's shoot the same load with dependable results, one ragged hole.

It's too darn sad that Nosler dropped the Zipedo from it's line. I still have 4 full boxes, and reserve them for Varmint Hunting or when I need to win a bet.

I've had some good luck with Sierra Blitzkings but that Zipedo was an awesome bullet. Corporate America aw work again eh Stonecreek?

BTW I'm looking for a Remington 788 in 44 Mag. But I need a really nice one. Anyone want to do some trading...? Call me 252 648-0231

It's too darn sad that Nosler dropped the Zipedo from it's line. I still have 4 full boxes, and reserve them for Varmint Hunting or when I need to win a bet.

No kidding! In addition to producing outstanding accuracy and expansion, the solid base of the Zipedo gave very good penetration. I once shot two deer through the necks with a single Zipedo 55 grainer out of a .22-250. Both flopped directly to the ground and hardly wiggled. I have a couple of boxes of Zipedos stashed away myself.

For those who are not familiar with the Nosler Zipedo, it was the original Solid Base Nosler (with a thick base of jacket material like the later Ballistic Tip and Accubond). However, it had driving bands on the rear 1/4" or so of the bullet instead of a smooth jacket. They were made in both .224" and 6mm sizes and were the cat's whiskers for those of us who tried them. They were replaced fairly soon with the regular lead tipped Solid Base bullets, which themselves were excellent bullets that rivaled the performance of the Partition in a bullet half the cost. The fact that they performed so well and cost so much less was probably cutting into the Partition sales, so Nosler dropped the Solid Base line.

More of corporate America making sure you don't get more than you pay for!

My daughter owns a Pawn & Gun shop. I run interference for her at times. We had some interaction with Remington recently over the model 770 entry level rifles. Junk in my opinion. I wouldn't own something that had so many parts made of plastic. I believe they have been discontinued. I asked Remington why they didn't bring back the 788 for a few years. Said it might surprise them. The technician on the phone agreed, but offered a new rifle as a substitute. I don't often buy new rifles just to see how they do... in fact never. But if one comes through the shop, I'll bring it home and run it through some tests. I have my own ranges and so all I need is a cool calm day and some of my reloads. If it shoots touching or under .6" at 100 yards I'll mess with the loads a bit and see if it will tighten. If not back to the shelf at the Pawn shop.

Bottom is the 30 yard 6 position pistol range, and to the left are two concrete benches with 100 yard target stands just past the runoff for the small pond, and the 200 yard target stands right next to Sta2 of the Skeet range. A 256 yard butt made of railroad ties, rubber tires and a mound of dirt are my final projectile destination. All I need is good weather bullets powder and primers to make it happen.
Colony Ranges.jpg

Nice old shotguns work well too. This is a George Daw round body back action hammergun made in the 1860's. extremely early in the cartridge firing days...

Turkeys2014a.jpg

A friend of mine recently alerted me about a local estate auction with some nice firearms that he was handling. I got to look at them privately and couldn't resist this little gem, Steyr SL Mannlicher 223. It's a well balanced sweet handling little rifle. Just got the scope mounted today.

Oooooo! Helical barrel finish, set triggers and all. What a little beauty! Be sure to tell us how it shoots.

Mostly Winchester lever actions and Model 70s in calibers .270 and up, and Winchesters and CZ in .22LR and .22mag. Other than my L579 Bofors .308 Win all my Sporter and HB Sakos are in smaller calibers.

Here's my experience:

When I lived in Alaska I hunted successfully with a Stoeger imported Sako .338 Win Mag for everything from nimble, high altitude dall sheep to 70 plus inch trophy moose. With my hand loaded 250 gr Nosler Partition round nose bullet that Sako...if I did my part...would put 3 shots under a quarter at 100 yards every time I went to the range. Then I bought a 5x stocked Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .338Win Mag and a Winchester Model 71 in .348, and I got rid the Sako. I came to dislike the Sako extractor for the large .338 magnum case; in fact I think Sako's push feed/pull-to-stop extraction is dangerous for hunting big game! I want a big game rifle with a full length controlled round feed/extraction because it works reliably all the time under virtually every condition. The magnum caliber Sako requires extra effort working the bolt to positively extract that large fired case. When your adrenalin is pumping things happen, and one of those things with the magnum caliber Sako is that you don't pull the bolt back hard enough and fully extract the empty case. The next thing that happens is a jam! I sent my .338 WinMag Sako back to Stoeger to "fix" it. They sent it back saying "the extraction worked just fine." Well, not for hunting in Alaska and I went to the Winchester Models 70 and 71. That being said, I want nothing but a Bofors Sako L461 or L579 in non-magnum calibers .308 and under "8 days a week!" They are among the best rifles ever made for those smaller calibers. OK...the exception is my hunting rifle in .270 Win, which just needs to be a Winchester Model 70. (So far, that is.) I tip my hat to Jack O'Conner!

Good shooting, Good hunting!

Northernlights

Northernlights: I assume you've had an extraction or feeding failure with a Sako L61R? I never have, but if I did I'm sure it would be as sick a feeling as when a Mauser/M70 extractor refuses to jump over a cartridge placed directly in the chamber (not fed from the magazine) and leaves you with a hopeless jam. I've gotten a shell "Mausered" a few times and nothing short of a cleaning rod stuck down the muzzle will cure the situation.

I have two (and only two) Remington Model 7 KS in 7-08 and another Model 7 KS in 350 Rem mag and I love them. Only Remingtons I've not parted with. The others are a Savage in 6.5 creedmoor Styer in 7mm Mag, Beretta Mato in 270, and then my Sako rifles. AIII in 30-06, 75 Stainless 7mm RM, 75 Finnlight 243, 75 Finnlight in 300wsm

Stonecreek,

Your story of not being able to chamber a single manually placed round gave me that sick feeling!

IIRC, I bought that Stoeger imported Sako of mine new in the late '70s, and I would guess it probably was a Sako Hunter. I have no idea...then or now...if it was on a L61r action or not. I wasn't the least bit interested in Sakos back then other than the one I owned, which was my only big game hunting rifle at the time. The problem wasn't an extraction or feeding failure. I came to feel there was a dangerous unreliability for extracting large magnum cases because of the design. I thought the extractor clip on the bolt face was way too delicate, and to extract an empty case required a very strong, full length pull back on the Bolton order for the ejector pin to pop the case off the face of the bolt. The .338 magnum case is too big for a design like that. At times a case would just come off the bolt face and lay on the follower! Regardless, the bolt still would pick up the next live round, and you had a dangerous jam situation unless you saw it happen and manually removed the empty case before bringing up and attempting to chamber the next round. When you're hunting in woods or thick brush where brown bear commonly grow to 8 and 9 feet it was my own experience that Sako's push/pull extraction design was unreliable and dangerous to use with the heavy, belted 338 magnum round.

I absolutely love my smaller, non-magnum caliber Sako rifles for their accuracy, wonderful feel, and overall beauty. I hunt with them, target shoot with them, and collect them. My .338 win mag big game hunting rifle always will be a pre-64 or pre-64 style controlled round feed Winchester Moder 70 Suoer Grade for reliability.

Not sure i have many rifles that are not Sako, but this was a photo i found the other day.
A Brno 22 used for bunnies when they are around.
006 (2) - Copy.JPG typical bad phone pic taken well after midnight, after countless hours of spotlighting!
Three pups not far from the den!
With my centrefires, if Sako does not produce one, i just build one!

L-46

I know this thread has slept for almost a year, but I so enjoyed browsing through it that I thought maybe a couple of breathes and some chest compressions might be able to revive it. The rifles in my cabinet include an old sporterized Spanish Mauser 93 rechambered in 257 Roberts, my granddad's old sporterized Springfield A3-03 still in 30-06, and my favorite non-Sako; a JC Higgins model 50 chambered in 30-06 probably manufactured sometime in the early 1950's. Here's a pic of the Higgins. IMG_0592.JPG

Back